Crap...my 90 Ls400 Is Leaking Oil!

thewzdoc

Friday on the way home from work I stopped at a red light and noticed that the engine was running rough and I could hear what sounded like loud exhaust noise coming from the engine compartment. I drove home and parked in the garage. The next day I pulled it out to work in the garage and noticed engine oil, it’s never leaked before. I checked under the car and sure enough there is a wet spot where the engine and tranny meet. It still runs and shifts great but at idle it is still rough and it makes noise.

Any ideas? (I really hope it's not a head gasket!)

I’ve got an appointment with my mechanic this afternoon.

Any smoke from the tail pipes? Does the car make excessive noise with quick turns? Any smoke from the engine? Check the oil dipstick and see if it look normal or not. Give us more info, so we can help u dx the problem.

It sounds like the rear main seal. Mine went out on my 1992 at about 160,000 miles. Leaked oil slowly at first, then more and more until it got really obnoxious. Car started to run rough after awhile too. Cost me about $400 to get fixed.

Johann

OK.....The oil leak is the rear main seal. ($400 and some change). jsweb good job!

The strange noise was the water pump eating its housing. The guy told me if it hadn't been a Lexus I wouldn't have made it to the shop. ($500 and some change, includes a new water pump from Lexus, timing belt, other miscellaneous items)

It really freaked me out considering it has never leaked anything before (well it did leak PS fluid from a hose but that doesn't count)

More news....One of the camshaft gears was missing teeth. Which, I guess, explains the knocking and pinging? The idler pulley bearings were so bad that they actually made noise if you shook the housing.... :(

Thank gawd he is almost done....I can't afford any more "news". :chairshot:

Oops I misunderstood what the mechanic was saying. The one cam was misaligned by 1 tooth (not missing a tooth). This was causing the knocking and pinging. Man it runs strong and quite now! And it only ran me $1300.00 :blink:

New Lexus timing belt

New Lexus water pump

Rear Main seal

New Lexus idler pulley and bracket

New Lexus thermostat and housing