Trouble Getting Rear Rotor Off

ptomko

I'm hoping for some help from other Es-300 owners. I have an '01 and I can't get the right rear rotor off. I need a new rotor because one of my old pads was worn down to the metal and scraped it all up. The other pad on the same side still had about 50% life on it, so probably a caliper or clog in the brake line.

Anyway, I got the caliper off, and pulled on the rotor. it comes off about half an inch, but then it seems to catch on something springy. The parking brake is NOT engaged. I pulled the little rubber plug off of the rotor hub to see if there is anything I can see in there that locks it or something. But I don't see anything that I can do in there.

I am thinking maybe the parking brake is out of adjustment and may be dragging, thus preventing the rotor from coming off. Does that seem likely? Where do I adjust that?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Could be. That sounds like a good theory.

Time to start !Removed! the bolts in the hat to jack the rotor off, or bust out a rubber mallet/hammer/sledge & a block of wood.

Well, I got it off with a friend's help. Even though the parking brake was off, the parking brake shoe was still tight enough against the inside that it was trying to come off with the rotor, but being fixed in place at the hub, it was bending, which made it bind more. We had to adjust the gear at the bottom of the hub through the little peep hole, and it finally backed off enough to get it the hub off.