To Resurface Front Brake Rotors Or Not?

lexguy2000

Interesting discussion. This machining while on the car would not, by any chance, result in more profit to the dealer, would it? :whistles:

I'm pretty sure that the mechanic who explained it to me wasn't watching out for the dealer. He seemed like a complete "techie" and launched into an enthusiastic detailed explanation about the interrelationship of components that got my eyes glazing over pretty fast.

So, I did some Internet searching ... it must be true if it's on the Internet ... right?

I quickly found web pages that said the same thing including the following one from good ol' Pat Goss who says "Most manufacturers have stated that you no longer machine a brake rotor off the car. It has to be done on the car such as what we are doing here." --> http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/turn_turn_turn_that_rotor

Gosh, I think I am learning something new!

Who knows, the mechanic may be bucking for that service manager position. They get paid a commission for selling. ;)

The in-vehicle truing all sounds a little bit too anal to me for most cars. I suspect profit is involved somewhere along the line. Or maybe I need a liberal swig of the Kool-Aid?! ^_^

The in-vehicle truing all sounds a little bit too anal to me for most cars. I suspect profit is involved somewhere along the line. Or maybe I need a liberal swig of the Kool-Aid?! ^_^

Drink up, Randy ... and enjoy the benefits of improved methods and equipment.

post-2157-0-34022600-1372550832_thumb.jp

Pat Goss. Gawdam. I haven't heard that name for a while. I remember watching him years ago on some eastern PBS channel. I think I destroyed my TV one day throwing my shoe at him.

Every "on the car" rotor turning machine bolts to the caliper bracket mounting holes - that's where it gets it's reference and it's foundation. Imagine all the adapters needed.

If the hub is confirmed at zero run-out, and the brake lathe can produce zero run-out on a rotor, then it only makes sense that any rotor as machined can be mounted on any hub, as long as both have zero run-out. Spark plugs are not select fit - they are machined accurately so that they can be installed in any location.

A new rotor is delivered with zero run-out. A used rotor can be machined to the same tolerance with good "off the car" equipment.

A little Vodka in that Kool-Aid and I will never even notice my lighter wallet, Jim. Improved methods or better milking of customers? That be the question. B)

... however, you'll be far better off if you have the rotors turned on the car, otherwise known as matched to the hub, ....

Overkill in my mind. I just change pads if the rotors aren't unusually scored.Once rotors gets scored up (actually more commonly warped) I just replace them with new ones. In 130k miles I've changed pads 3-4 times and rotors once on each wheel. What I saved in dealer labor to machine the rotors more than paid for the new rotors over the past ten years.

Maybe if I was driving on a track at 150+ MPH and hard braking into turns I'd want pristine rotors milled in place to null out any stackup error of tolerances. I don't know about you but my lumbering comfy couch LS doesn't get a lot of track time...