New Oem Pads Squeak!

jc19907

i had the same problem, had to switch to ceramic pads but they started to squeal after few month as well. this weekend i'm changin my shock absorbers, rotors and pads, i will let you know if that is going to help. i also head that lexus pads are directional, did you put the brake quitener liquid on them? did you glue the shims?

Folks,

Have a 99ls and had new front pads put on in December. My brakes squeal. Is this common for OEM's? Thoughts?

Thanks

I just had the pads out of my 96LS to check for wear. They are directional..the leading (lower) edge of each pad is beveled and each pad has an arrow that should point up (at least mine do). Also, there are 2 sets of shims (stacked) on each pad (presumably for squeal).

I'm not sure. I had a shop do it. I don't do my own brake work anymore. Don't have time or a garage right now. The shop told me they were putting OEM pads on, so should I assume that the pads came with shims? Do shims, or lack thereof cause squeaking on this car? Mine is pretty loud and occurs at the beginning to mid pressing the brake pedal. Annoying and would like to fix. THX

There are shims and a fitting kit, two seperate pieces. the dealer here charges $40 for each kit.

Should I take it back in to have them add shims?

I recently replaced my front rotors due to poor design characteristics of the cheapo' rotors I put on last time.....no centering screws.....when I put on the new, correct ones....my front pads sounded like I was killing cats! They did not have the shim kit or fitment kit at all, and it was horrible! Bought some Raybestos last weekend that did have the shim kit....no more kitty-killin' noise. I do need a fitment kit as the pads are a little loose in the caliper housing and shift around a little....but not bad enough to make me want to mess with it now. I also made sure everything was propertly greased "back of pads" and so forth...all is well....pads were $45, ceramics. Old ones were half metalic...and blew more dust than a drug dealer.

I replaced my rotors front and back, along with new Raybestos pads, even though the old pads were lightly worn. Used shims and anti-squeal gunk, too. I was amazed that my new pads squealed like a subway train at rush hour. Reinstalled the pads twice, but no luck. So I installed the old pads, for grins, on the new rotors. Not a squeek-perfect. Since I only drive the Lexus 5K miles a year, I guess the old pads will have to do.

Live and learn....