Mobil 1 / Mobil 1 Performance

camlex

Hello,

Presently, I am using Castrol Synthetic Blend 5W30.

I change the oil and filter(Toyota) every 4,000 miles. Car has 178,000 miles.

I went to Walmart today to buy Mobil 1.

They make two kind of synthetic. One is regular ($20.99 for 5 Qts Can)and other is

perfomance ($28.99 for 5 Qts Can).

Which one should I go with?

If you use synthetic, how many miles do you have to change oil?

Thanks in advance..

Lexus.com FAQ: Use of Synthetic Engine Oil

Question:Can I use synthetic engine oil in my Lexus vehicle during its break-in period?

Corporate Lexus's Answer:  "Synthetic oil can be used at the first scheduled oil change. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend longer oil change intervals. Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil."

Valvoline.com FAQ:

"How often should you change your oil? The answer is simple—it depends. The general guideline for changing motor oil is every three months or 3,000 miles—whichever comes first. Although some car manufacturers and motor oils claim that maintenance intervals may be extended, there are still many benefits to changing

your oil every 3,000 miles:

1. the emission of dangerous pollutants like hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide increase as oil ages. In other words, old oil increases air pollution.

2. cars that have been subjected to extended drain intervals may continue to emit higher levels of pollution even after they adopt a more conservative maintenance schedule.

3. Fuel consumption also increases as oil gets old, and vehicles may continue to burn higher quantities of

fuel even after the oil is changed."

Camlex, as you know, the purpose of changing your oxygen sensor recently was to optimize engine power, fuel economy and reduce the concentration of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide in your exhaust stream, thereby prolonging the life of your expensive emission control components.

Extending oil change intervals (even when using synthetic oil) as the Valvoline website pointed out, has the same self defeating consequences as extending oxygen sensor replacement intervals and tune up intervals. So it's no surprize to me corporate Toyota / Lexus is against extending oil changes when using synthetic oil.

There are lots of specialty lube salesmen, oil analysis salesmen on a popular private motor oil website that favor extended oil changes (to justify the $7 per quart cost of their specialty oils). They always say: "get your oil tested (oil analyzed) - that way you'll know for sure whether or not its safe to extend changes up to 10-15,000 miles" . What they don't ask you to test is your fuel economy and tailpipe emissions because if you did you'd find out there are self defeating consequences of extending oil changes.

Personally I'd stick with the Castrol Synthetic blend and go to 3000 mile oil and filter change intervals. I've had great service with Castrol over the last 30 or so years and ran the synthetic blend in my last two cars.

People, use the SEARCH function!!!!

camlex, why must you revive the age old synthetic oil question as well as drain intervals. It only gets several people back on their soap boxes and the rest of us sit at home, smack the side of our heads and say "here they go again".

This thread is CLOSED, as this is a topic covered many many many times and from all angles.

steviej