Rear Door Rattle

rocky2

I know some time ago it was decided that owners of the RX 400h should have their own forum. Unfortunately for the 75% of the RX400h that’s the same as the RX 330 it would be helpful to be able to share info. The RX 400h user base is a much smaller and less experience with the RX platform than the RX330 user base.

I just brought in my RX 400h to fix a very noticeable rattle in the rear lift gate. The dealer knew immediately what it was. He said he had the same problem on 4 or 5 RX330 this year. The plastic panel on the inside if the lift gate immediately below the window is what was rattling. My dealer removed the panel and put a felt spacer between the panel and metal door. Rattle happily gone.

I hope if any of you experience this same rattle you find this info useful. Dealer had me in and out in less than an hour.

Thanks for the info. Was it a loud rattle or tiny not-really-sure-where-it's-coming-from annoying rattle. I've been hearing something for the past year that sounds almost like the cargo cover rattling but the dealer couldnt find anything a year ago.

Thanks!

I could only tell after a while it was coming from somewhere behind the front seats towards the back.

I was just a rattle, not a clunking sound. It didn't need much speed or even a really rough road to get it to rattle.

The only way I finally figured out it was the rear hatch was I drove the car a short distance with rear hatch open over an area of road it always rattles, and it went away.

I didn’t even need to tell my dealer where it was. He zeroed in on it immediately from past experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue with Lift Gate. Intermittent rattles, mostly when colder weather in season. My dealer in CT did not seem to know of the issue when I visited this morning to have it fixed. The service dept. suggested the cargo cover to be the source of the noice, which was readily discounted.

I will definitely have this noise looked at with this email as a reference.

Thanks,

ddl

I had a rattle last spring in my RX. I told the dealer I thought the rattle was coming from the rear door area . It turned out it was the sunroof ! Lexus replaced the complete sunroof and the cable assembly that goes to it. No more rattle !