How To Adjust Parking Brake On 98 Ls 400

Jeffrey Davis

Is there a cable adjuster for the parking brake and if so where is it located?

On my Avalon there was an adjustment port that you got to by unscrewing a panel in the bottom of the center console, but it's probably not that easy on the LS.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

I think that might have been my thread, my e-brake was set too tightly and the e-pads were constantly rubbing on the inside of the rotor. If you need to manually adjust them "assuming you tried SK's method first and it didn't work" then this is what you do:

You can probably get to these two adjuster spin screws if you have the car up in the air and you're underneath. If not, you'll have to take off the rear wheel and rotors. But let's try it with the wheels on and up in the air:

Look at the back side of the rear rotor, at the bottom of the rotror. You should see a metal spindle screw that looks like a mini-bicycle gear sprocket. This is the adjusting spindle. I think if you turn it clock-wise, it will tighten the ebrake settings. I could be wrong on the clockwise though, just look at the threading and you can tell. Now, becareful! It doesn't take much! You can over due it with just two full rotations either way. Each rear wheel has it's own setting, so you have to do both. Try it with the car in the air before messing with taking everything apart first, as it can be a dirty, pain in the !Removed! job.

Go to a parking lot and drive in reverse and apply the brakes hard this usually adjusts them.

Most people never apply hard pressure in reverse normally so they do get out of adjustment.

Wow!

Can you please expain how does this procedure adjust the footbrake? Sure beats jacking the car up and taking wheels off.

I broke down and downloaded the manual. There is a cable adjuster under the car that uses a bracket and two nuts to adjust the cable.

I think that might have been my thread, my e-brake was set too tightly and the e-pads were constantly rubbing on the inside of the rotor. If you need to manually adjust them "assuming you tried SK's method first and it didn't work" then this is what you do:

You can probably get to these two adjuster spin screws if you have the car up in the air and you're underneath. If not, you'll have to take off the rear wheel and rotors. But let's try it with the wheels on and up in the air:

Look at the back side of the rear rotor, at the bottom of the rotror. You should see a metal spindle screw that looks like a mini-bicycle gear sprocket. This is the adjusting spindle. I think if you turn it clock-wise, it will tighten the ebrake settings. I could be wrong on the clockwise though, just look at the threading and you can tell. Now, becareful! It doesn't take much! You can over due it with just two full rotations either way. Each rear wheel has it's own setting, so you have to do both. Try it with the car in the air before messing with taking everything apart first, as it can be a dirty, pain in the !Removed! job.

• 2 years later...
Is this procedure the same on a 92Ls?

Its the same, did it today, there is an adjustment up under the car above the drive shaft, this adjustment will tighten the cable and give the parking brake pedal less throw. The other is inside the disk brake itself (unbelievable but effective design) and adjust the parking brake shoes out with the adjuster spin screws as nc211 says. Only the adjustment is accessed from the outboard side of the rotor. a small rubber plug pops out and the adjuster is at 6 oclock. As the manual says adjust it to full friction lock (clockwise) then back it off 8 clicks. And now that the thing is at a good starting point I will go fast in reverse and brake hard to self adjust from now on.