Sc-400 Timing Belt

To those that own a '95 SC-400 or any SC-400 for that matter, could someone inform me of when i can expect the timing belt to go out? I posted a thread a few days ago in regards to one i'm looking at getting for my secondary vehicle and it has 101k miles on it. And it has undergone the major services prior to the 90k mile service but Lexus shows no record of the timing belt being changed. However, they could have taken it elsewhere and got it done instead of paying $2k to get fixed.

So here's the scenario...

1995 SC-400

101k miles in perfect condition

$7800

Is it worth it to go ahead and get it and get the timing belt fixed?

You can't get in touch with the last owner to see if it has been done? Try checking the "Owners Manual Supplement". In the back of this little book should be a bunch of service logs hopefully filled out every 5,000 miles. Look around the 60k and onward to see if the timing belt was marked as being done. If it's all blank in the back with no stamps or mileage / dates filled out then the tech may have been in too much of a hurry to fill it out and you'll have to rely on what the service history on the dealership's computer says.

Timing belts can go for many thousands of miles past 60k if the conditions are right... If no oil or water got on it, car was used and driven on a daily basis, no defects in the belt to begin with...

It's just one of those things you don't want to risk... if that timing belt breaks, or the teeth get worn off, the valves will be opened at the wrong time and get crushed by the pistons.

In short, a 1995 SC in perfect condition for $7,800 with no timing belt job done on history is not a bad deal. Maybe try and talk them down a few hundred.

-Dave

To inspect the timing belt you need to remove all the plastic crap around the engine, here is a pic of my sc a week ago exposing the timing belts... The timing belts (2) are much like the serp belt on the sc400's if you see cracking or wear you change them... Timing belts should be changed on average every 100,000 miles or so, you can exceed that as these belts are big and durable, but rubber does wear over time...

post-13978-1138309615_thumb.jpg