'90 Ls400 Driver Door Check

Bill O'

My driver door check is making a loud click when the door is opened half way and again when the door is fully opened. Tried WD-40 with no luck. It sounds like the part is ready to fail. How big a job is involved in replacing it and how much will the part set me back?

There is/are one or more bolts at the front of the door at the fender. This happened on my 90. I used a 90 degree box end to get in there and tighten and the noise stopped. You can probably get your hand in there and feel the loose one or ones. Easy, if you have the right tool.

my '92 sc400 did this for a year, i put oil everywhere and thought I would have to change the door hardware. It turned out I was oiling the wrong place, there is a cup shape metal thing in the door hinge with 4 bolts holding it down, in it there is a arm that rides inside the cup to keep the door open on a small incline when open. Put the oil over the edge or behind/inside the cup. I died when i found out how easy it was to fix this huge noise everytime I opended the door. Maybe yours has the same kind of hinge?

GEEZ!!! fix the problem rather than masque it..Those bolts can lead to wind noise and not to mention deterioration of the door locks. It would be embarrassing to have your door fall off in a Wal-Mart parking lot.. LOL :unsure: In other words, when a problem crops up with a Lexus..and it is mechanical..quit spraying.....Fix it!!! Where's that damn cat!!!