Potential New Owner Needs Advice

Bob_VA

I'm brand new here and have never owned a Lexus or other Japanese car before. I currently own a 2003 Volvo XC90 and I'm seriously thinking about trading it in for a new 2006 RX. My Volvo has generally been very good to me, but I recently had a very negative experience with the service facility at a local dealer. Long story short, they refused to replace a window regulator under warranty, claiming that my aftermarket window deflectors caused the regulator to fail. I have it from the manufacturer of the deflctors, another Volvo dealer as well as my own mechanic that the defectors could NOT have caused the regulator to fail.

Basically, I was wondering if all of the great customer service stories I've been hearing about Lexus are true - do you REALLY get treated right each and every time you bring your Lexus in for service? Has anyone had a negative experience with Lexus customer service in general? Do you get a loaner if your car is tied-up in the service bay over a specified length of time?

I'm also a little concerned about some of the messages on this board concerning "fragile transmissions" and "weird rear end noises". As an outsider looking in, my perception is that this doesn't speak well of Lexus quality or customer satisfaction.

Anything you might share would be very helpful ... thank you in advance for your feedback.

Bob from Williamsburg, VA

hmm...let me see here, about the service satisfaction...ill have to think about that, oh wait no i dont, ITS GREAT! Though i think it depends on the dealer because i here stories about a delaer in new york, but over here in san francisco, i couldnt ask for better. You just gotta choose the right guy when going in. The loaner cars are usually reserved for longer, major services, though i get one ever time, again, get a good service rep. I believe the transmission issue is fixed for the new RX330s, here i am being a sucker with an '04 lol. If you have been reading about the "clank" noises when turning into a drive way on the right side, i guess it depends if your lucky because i have never heard anything and i turn in on the right. So there you have it, this is my 3rd lexus and the reason i go back is for the service and reliability.

Edited by Rx330driver

I have always owned american cars and experienced everything from total disregard (the dealer doing nothing to my vehicle after claiming they did) to very good service, engines and transmissions replaced under warranty. This is my first japanese car and experience with Lexus. I can report that my Lexus dealer has always offered a loaner if i needed it, and they have a system at my dealer where they call you personally after each service and send out a written form to ask about the service and anything they could do better. Lexus dealers are also human and its clear some are better informed and more customer oriented than others. Also its my opinion that you are paying more up front usually for the car and definately for the service itself so they should be trying harder. My salesman still calls every two weeks ( i got the car 6 months ago) to see how things are going. I dont need the espresso machine in the dealer lobby but its there, nor do i need a dealership that looks like the taj mahal, but some of them do. I do want sincere service and everything done to keep my vehicle trouble free. So far i have recieved that and i expect it will continue into the future. The transmission failures you read about here are mostly on the rx300 models, Lexus has addressed it on the 330.

Like any other manufacturer, Lexus dealership service quality varies from one location to another. As a rule, informed and savvy owners will always negotiate their way to better service, but you sometimes need to exhibit a "refuse to cave in" mentality to make that happen. You're giving up too easily in your particular case. If the manufacturer of the window deflector as well as another Volvo dealership acknowledge that your deflectors didn't cause your problem, why are you letting your current dealership push you around? Use this information vigorously to get your faulty regulator replaced under warranty.

If your only reason for considering selling your Volvo is a negative service experience you had with a dealership, then your most practical and common-sense solution is to find another dealership. You will take a financial bath on depreciation if you elect to sell or trade your Volvo at this time. And depending upon how much warranty you have left, it may soon be time to start thinking about finding a local service shop that specializes in Volvos. You'll typically find as good or better service expertise as well as far better pricing at these specialty shops. There are two here in the Raleigh area that have outstanding reputations. One of them has been in business almost 30 years. Hopefully you'll encounter a similar situation in your neck of the woods.

Edited by RX in NC

By all means do not give up that XC90, certainly not for ANY RX.

Should you have need of it your XC90 has one of the best AWD and stability systems on the market today.

And it may be that your dealer was correct. IF you did not "retrain" or normalize your window full up position after your installed the aftermarket devices then it is likely that you are responsible for the failure.

Bob,

In lat Dec. 2005, I traded my 99 Lexus RX300 for a 2006 RX330, and I can tell you without any uncertainty that the main reason for buying a new Lexus IS the legendary service. To give you concrete examples of what I am talking about, here is what how you should expect from your Lexus dealer:

****They will survey you anytime and everytime you take car in for service

****They will survey you when you buy the car, and ask about how the experience was

****They will contact you by phone and mail to make sure you were happy with service/purchase

****They will immediately fix whatever the problem is, ESPECIALLY when under warranty

****They will give you gifts to keep you happy (I received complimentary full tank of gas for returning a survey in about the car salesman).

****They will no wait for you to request a loaner, they will offer it before you open your mouth.

At my Lexus dealership (Kearny Mesa Lexus in San Diego), I received a free SIRIUS Sattelite radio and installation (integrated into factory radio), but I was unhappy with the bulky antenna that was glued on the inside of the windshield. After complaining to the dealership and not getting any reprieve (they said that SIRIUS did not provide any alternative antennas with the free package), I contacted Lexus USA headquarters and told them I hated the antenna and that I did not want to have a non-Lexus dealer handle the car. They said they will look into it and call in 2-3 days. On day 3, I received a call and was told to contact a specific service manager at my dealership, which has the solution worked out. The end result is that the Lexus dealer took care of installing a new exterior antenna at a stereo shop they contract with at no cost and no hassle to me.

I am super happy with my new Lexus, and I am even happier with the knowledge that even if my dealer "missbehaves" at any one time or another, I can rely on the Lexus organization for immediate and effective help. At one time in my life I owned a Dodge car, and I cannot even begin to tell you what nightmare that was with the dealer in specific and Dodge in general.

I do not work for Lexus, have no family memeber or friend that do, and my only motivation is to speak the truth about Lexus and help. :cheers:

kalinsandiego

Well you asked for opinions and you're certainly getting them so here's mine. I get great service from My lexus dealer even though I rarely ever take the vehicle there (only 2 times because its 30 miles away). Truth is my RX has been so good its never needed to be in the shop, any shop for anything ( I change the oil myself). Its about due for the 90k service and sometime before 100k I'll either bite the bullet and take it to the dealer or to a mechanic locally whom I really trust. This is the reason I bought this vehicle. I like the looks of your XC better than the 300 or the 330 but I just didn't trust the Volvo quality. I know several people who own 99-02 RX 300s and their stellar reccomendations of their vehicles was what got me into mine in the first place. You certainly can't discount the problems people have described here but I take them as points of caution rather than an indictment of the vehicle as a whole.

Edited by tmastres

IMMHO the greatest problem with Lexus dealer service is the product itself.

Extremely reliable.

Dealer service bays would be empty if they could not sell you services your vehicle doesn't need.

Lexus needs to allow combined Toyota/Lexus dealerships so the service aspects will have a more reasonable "base" to draw from.