Passenger Door Remote Mirror

WJA

Just purchased a 2002 LS 430, 67K miles. After having it a few days the passenger door remote mirror was in the collapse position when I discovered it inoperable while viswitng the DMV. I tried gently working it open and it is fully open now but does not automaticlly retract. Do these mirros generally reset themselves after several uses? How to diagnose and repair?

• 3 weeks later...

RFeldes,

Thanks for your note. I will do that however I think my situation is going to require disassembly and re-assemble. The mirro is in the opn position and will only retract slightly when activated. Maybe the gear system is out of wack somehow but being unfamiliar with it, I'll have to do exploratory surgery on it. Any thoughts how to take off the inner access molding to get at it?

WJA, What I have learned is that you can manually open and close the mirrors and the mechanism seems to not be harmed. Go ahead and spray it with the silicone and open and close "gently" a couple of times and then try it again in auto. Hopefully it is not too late for your mechanism, but definitely should be a part of maintenance for auto mirrors. Let us know if it helps, and I emphasize, to other owners with auto closing mirrors, "silicone".....Twice a year. Much cheaper than my ex-wife's silicone job. LOL :chairshot: