Problem With My Sc400

I've got a 92 SC400. The temperature gauge was rising really high for about a day or two. Then on the second day, while driving, the temperature gauge goes sky high and it cuts off and won't restart for about a half hour. I get it to some crackpot mechanic who puts it on a lift and he shows me that it's leaking antifreeze from the around the waterpump. The drip is almost a constant flow. We fill it with antifreeze and the car starts and I take it home. The next morning, I have a problem getting it to start and puffs of white smoke come out of the exhaust pipe. It also sounds like it coughing from the exhaust pipe. After four or five tries it starts and runs fine. I take it to a mechanic in the Bronx and he tells me that the repairs are too extensive and he can't do them. But, he says all I have to do it continue to check the coolant level and it'll be okay. I let it sit for three or four days. Before I start it, I see that the coolant level is extremely low, I fill it up with coolant and start the car. I attempt to drive about eight miles and the car cuts off on me, sputters and when I idle I have to put it in Neutral and keep a foot on the gas or it'll cut off. The car sits for about 14 hours and afterwards it won't start.

I told this to a mechanic who works on Lexus' and he says he thinks I need a new engine. He quoted me a price of $1200 for the engine (with 50K) and $800 for the labor. I'm interested in opinions.

if you drove the car untill it overheated and stopped, it probably froze up and it will never start again. It also sounds like with all the smoke you may have a cracked head gasket, which can also cause the engine the die, though white smoke is ussually oil, not coolant, coolant is ussually a blue color. Have you checked the oil level? In any case, $2000 for a SC engine installed with 50k miles is a good deal, probably much better than buying a new/used car. How many miles on your current engine?

Hey Orlousy, you kinda got it backwards. White smoke out of the exhaust is usually coolant, blue indicates oil. 2k really isnt that bad only if you get some sort of warranty for the motor. Those poor engines sit those yards for extended periods. I'll find out tomorrow if im able to get a motor and give you a labor quote.

Edited by NYC SC

Replace your head gaskets and waterpump and the car should run fine. Unless the engine doesn't turn over when you try to start I dought you need a new engine...Save the money these engines are solid even after overheating.... What were you thinking letting the car overheat like that, you must alway stop the car if the temp needle goes up or steam omits from the hood. Good luck with what ever path you choose.. Although, 50k motor installed for $2000 sounds like a great deal......