Help With Purchasing Tires For Lexus Rx330

rickmcbridejr

I have a 2004 FWD RX330 with the 18" wheels. I was told recently by my Lexus dealership that I needed new tires. My Lexus came equipped with the OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. My Lexus dealership is recommending the same tires for my car, but I don't want to put the Eagle RS-As back on my car, as I was a little disappointing in their tread life.

I have researched 235/55/18 tires, and it is clear there are very few choices out there. As a result, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have a strong recommendation for a tire for my car? I am looking primarily for good tread life. I do not drive in the snow.

2. Does anyone see a problem with me purchasing a lower rated tire (like an "H") to improve tread life (if it would improve tread life at all)?

3. I have read good reviews on the Bridgestone Alenza H/Ls, but don't know if those reviews are legitimate. Can anyone comment?

Thanks for any information any of you might be able to provide.

I have a 2004 FWD RX330 with the 18" wheels. I was told recently by my Lexus dealership that I needed new tires. My Lexus came equipped with the OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. My Lexus dealership is recommending the same tires for my car, but I don't want to put the Eagle RS-As back on my car, as I was a little disappointing in their tread life.

I have researched 235/55/18 tires, and it is clear there are very few choices out there. As a result, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have a strong recommendation for a tire for my car? I am looking primarily for good tread life. I do not drive in the snow.

2. Does anyone see a problem with me purchasing a lower rated tire (like an "H") to improve tread life (if it would improve tread life at all)?

3. I have read good reviews on the Bridgestone Alenza H/Ls, but don't know if those reviews are legitimate. Can anyone comment?

Thanks for any information any of you might be able to provide.

My only comment with using lower rated tires is first check the owners manual (and possibly other sources) to make sure no safety issues would result.

There are past threads here where people have recommended the Toyo brand (do a search to find it) but I seem to recall you had to order it from Canada or something like that.

Another option is to swap the 18's for 17's, but that'll probably be more trouble than it's worth.

I recently purchased 18" Bridgestone Alenza H/L's for my 2004 RX330 w/45K miles. There cost was about 153 each + balance and tx. They handle far better and cost far less than the original Goodyear RSA's. The installer had a difficult tiime balancing so I had Lexus do a road force balance. They did a perfect job. The installer refunded me their balance charge. The Bridgestones ride and handle great as long as you don't try to over inflate. I use 30PSI on front and 31PSI on back. I would buy them again.

Well, I should have replaced them some time ago, they are practically threadbare. It is actually my wife's car, and she is very conservative in her driving habits -- that is why we got as many miles as we did. I will say that I have read posts on this board from folks who say they have gotten far less from their Eagle RS-As than we did. So I guess I shouldn't complain too loudly.

Anyone has any luck with 17" tires ? Price goes down to $97 for Michelin Energy LX4, but it is S rating.

I am still debating to go with either Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza or Michelin Energy MXV4 S8. It seems like from tirerack.com reviews many preferrred Bridgestone. But I am little hesitate with Firestone/Bridgestone products. Any thoughts ?

The installer had a difficult tiime balancing so I had Lexus do a road force balance. They did a perfect job. The installer refunded me their balance charge.

OK, educate me. What is a road force balance? I have been around the block or two and know a good amount about auto related things, but road force balance is a new one.

Gary

The installer had a difficult tiime balancing so I had Lexus do a road force balance. They did a perfect job. The installer refunded me their balance charge.

OK, educate me. What is a road force balance? I have been around the block or two and know a good amount about auto related things, but road force balance is a new one.

Gary

He's referring to the Hunter GSP9700, which applies a load to the tires when it balances it. It does a whole bunch of other things, as well (detect wheel runout, etc.) that really makes a big difference - if you're having balancing troubles, don't bother going to anyone who doesn't have one of these.

Hunter GSP 9700

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased 18" Bridgestone Alenza H/L's for my 2004 RX330 w/45K miles. There cost was about 153 each + balance and tx. They handle far better and cost far less than the original Goodyear RSA's. The installer had a difficult tiime balancing so I had Lexus do a road force balance. They did a perfect job. The installer refunded me their balance charge. The Bridgestones ride and handle great as long as you don't try to over inflate. I use 30PSI on front and 31PSI on back. I would buy them again.

I also got Alenza's for my FWD RX330 after the Goodyears died from a puncture. (BTW, I read somewhere that OEM Goodyear RS-A's are crappier than the retail RS-A, but I can't confirm this)

The Dueller Allenzas are the same size for my 18" stock rims (california RX330) and have significantly more grip than the goodyears. The stiffer sidewalls reduced the body roll in turns and some of the braking dive. However, the expense was slightly more tire noise. Comfort is the same, however, more road irregularities are transmitted to the cockpit; you could feel more, but it didn't make it uncomfortable.

After break in, the Allenzas allow me to take turns at speeds that would make the Goodyear's howl. I don't drive the top heavy vehicle hard, but it's nice to know the extra grip is there for braking. I really like the stiffer sidewalls as the gooey Goodyear sidewalls made the RX feel like a boat.

Wet grip is good and I have yet to hydroplane in them, even during the huge rain storms we recently had here. I don't go to the snow.