Is350... Explain The Shiftable Auto To Me

I'm in the market for an IS350, but I had some questions about the auto transmission.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how much manual control I'll actual have.

Let's assume I've shifted into 'S 6' mode (meaning all the gear are available is my understanding), and I'm cruising at 70mph:

1) if I bury the accelerator into the mat, will the car downshift on its own?

2) if I downshift manually, will the car remain in that gear until I tell it otherwise?

What I'm trying to figure out is if, when in 'S' mode, the trans will still do whatever it wants, or if it'll actually listen to what I'm trying to tell it.

Thanks for any help,

-Grant

I'm in the market for an IS350, but I had some questions about the auto transmission.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how much manual control I'll actual have.

Let's assume I've shifted into 'S 6' mode (meaning all the gear are available is my understanding), and I'm cruising at 70mph:

1) if I bury the accelerator into the mat, will the car downshift on its own?

2) if I downshift manually, will the car remain in that gear until I tell it otherwise?

What I'm trying to figure out is if, when in 'S' mode, the trans will still do whatever it wants, or if it'll actually listen to what I'm trying to tell it.

Thanks for any help,

-Grant

The transmissiion will not shift to a higher gear than you have selected. It will, however, downshift based on throttle postion, load etc.

Think of it this way.

If you select gear 4, you are essentially driving with a 4 speed trasnsmission.

You can start in 1 and have total control of up shifting with the paddles. The car will not shift any higher than what you tell it to.

When slowing down, or punching the throttle, etc, the transmission will downshift as it thinks is necessary.

In "S" mode you may also upshift and downshift by pushing the gear selector lever forward for up and back for down. You may use either the paddles or the gear lever whenever in "S" mode.

Ok, fair enough. I guess I'd also like to hear some subjective opinions on how "good" it is. Coming from a long list of manual transmissions, I'm a little concerned it's going to be the same kind of garbage slushbox you find in most cars.

since u used the the word "slushbox" im assuming u like driving stickshift. The shift paddlers will not cut your needs, it still has the laggy transmission. Do test drive it and check it out. Shift paddlers are good for people who love automatic cars and like to switch gears on their own once in awhile. However the paddlers are no comparison to stickshift or BMW's SMG.

Ugh. I drove one today. It's a slushbox alright. Calling it that doesn't have anything to do with how fast it accelerates. It has to do with how it changes gears, most noteably on downshifts.

Unfortunately that tranny might be a deal breaker for me. If they had something like VW's DSG setup, or even BMW's SMG, I could probably deal with and even enjoy it.

But sticking paddles on a normal auto does not a good transmission make.

That being said, like you mentioned, I can see how it adds to the experience for people who drive autos all the time. The ability to hold a gear through the corner is handy, but those downshifts are horrid.

Ugh. I drove one today. It's a slushbox alright. Calling it that doesn't have anything to do with how fast it accelerates. It has to do with how it changes gears, most noteably on downshifts.

Unfortunately that tranny might be a deal breaker for me. If they had something like VW's DSG setup, or even BMW's SMG, I could probably deal with and even enjoy it.

But sticking paddles on a normal auto does not a good transmission make.

That being said, like you mentioned, I can see how it adds to the experience for people who drive autos all the time. The ability to hold a gear through the corner is handy, but those downshifts are horrid.

The "hardness or softness" of the down shifts depends on how you drive the car in my experience. If the car's computer senses that you are driving agressively it will shift harder especially in power mode.

I'm sure that Lexus did this in the first release of the IS350/250 for reliability reasons, who knows what they will change in the next release.

Even a good manual transmission in the wrong hands can be shifted badly :)

I just got IS 350 and have been playing with the paddle shifters. I do notice that there is a little lag from when you shift it on the steering wheel to when it actually shifts. I've been driving a stick for the last 12 years so it takes a little getting used to. Not that I actually use it all that much.

I just got IS 350 and have been playing with the paddle shifters. I do notice that there is a little lag from when you shift it on the steering wheel to when it actually shifts. I've been driving a stick for the last 12 years so it takes a little getting used to. Not that I actually use it all that much.

Sure there's a litle delay, it's not a Ferrari SMG. However there's a delay when you shift on a manual gearbox as well, except the driver's causing it. The IS box is actually pretty darn fast.

Personally after thinking the paddles were a good idea, since I got my 350 I find myself using the stick more than the paddles. Or just leaving it on auto with ECT in PWR mode. The way I've described it to friends, in standard mode the car feels like a (fast) Camry, in ECT-PWR it turns into a psycho!

Sure there's a litle delay, it's not a Ferrari SMG. However there's a delay when you shift on a manual gearbox as well, except the driver's causing it. The IS box is actually pretty darn fast.

Personally after thinking the paddles were a good idea, since I got my 350 I find myself using the stick more than the paddles. Or just leaving it on auto with ECT in PWR mode. The way I've described it to friends, in standard mode the car feels like a (fast) Camry, in ECT-PWR it turns into a psycho!

I just got mine on Tuesday night....haven't tried the PWR mode yet...sounds like a good time :o

• 2 weeks later...

How do you turn a 14.0 1/4 mile with a slushbox? If the trans doesn't shift fast, then it ain't gonnna turn that kind of times. Of course, as with any car, driving experience and familiarity with the car helps.

Hmmmmmm... I drive an '87 Buick Grand National with a "slushbox"... 0 to 60 in about 4.5 secs and a 1/4 mile whizzes by in about 12.5 at a buck and a quarter... Buick tried putting a 4-speed in their intercooled GN's but couldn't match the times they were getting with the old 200 R auto tranny...

Point is it's all about matching up all the pieces and parts and programming the prom to make all the right decisions at the right time... haven't had my 350 long enough to flog it but my limited toying iwth the s mode suggests that you need to think about a hallf a second ahead of when you want to make an up or down shift...

I suspect just leaving well enough alone and letting the auto do its thing will net you the best straight line times... running the twisties is going to take a little getting used to... the 350 is a fine little car that I expect to enjoy a long and happy relationship with without having to get cozy with the service department like all those folks driving bimmers and audis often do...

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the lag in downshifting when slowing for a corner is a bit concerning. Anticipating this a half-second ahead of time is the key. But next time you're on a two lane road and needing to pass, put the car in power mode click the downshift (left) paddle twice while you're coming down on the accelerator and hang on.

In short, there are some instances where both hands on the wheel and the slight delay in throttle response and tranny make the paddle shifters really nice.