A/c And Heater Smell

I have a 92 es300 and have noticed a musty type smell when i run the a/c and a smell when i run the heater. I've looked on the site already and figured it was a cabin filter that needed to be replaced but when i called the lexus dealer in town they said that the 92 es300 didnt have a cabin filter so does anyone have any ideas what it might be??

have noticed a musty type smell when i run the a/c and a smell when i run the heater . . . . so does anyone have any ideas what it might be??

IF and WHEN you get the fungus out of your ventilating system there is a way you may forestall it coming back.

About three minutes before you are going to stop and get out of your car, force your a/c system to stop but keep your fans running. This will help remove any condensation from your air handling system.

You can find reference to this on one of the Asthma sites on the Net. Use your search engine. I think its initials are AFAA or AAFA or something like that.

Wishing you well.

LoL! Silly dealers. If you download the '93 FSM I posted, you'll see in one of the brochures that it not only has a slot for it, but they sell the filter seperately.

Check this out.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...ht=cabin+filter

You can see pics of where it goes here. Ya gotta pull the carpet back & take the big plastic "shield" thing off to get to the heatercore & where the filter sits.

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/showgalle.../1/ppuser/15054

Edited by Toysrme

Sorry Jay...

Your advice is just simply wrong.

When the A/C is operating the cooling vanes of the evaporator will be as low as 33F, and keep in mind that the evaporator is quite thoroughly buried (insulated!) within the A/C plenum where there will be virtually no convection airflow once the car is shut down.

In point of fact 3 minutes may not be even enough time to exhaust the liquid refrigerant stored in the reservoir.

Absent some device or modification the only solution I found is to leave the windows and or sunroof slightly open in the garage each and every night during the summer when the A/C is in use consistently.

Year ago, 95?, I purchased a Lexus A/C evaporator, weighed it, dipped it in a bucket of water, weighed it again and then sat it out in the open air of a closed ~70F two bay garage. After two days its weight indicated that it still held over a pint of moisture on the surfaces.

For many years my practice was to disconnect the A/C compressor clutch during the winter months. My 2001 RX300 has two c-best options that when set correctly by the dealer unlinks the A/C from the defrost/demist/defog mode, and allows me to disable the A/C indefinitely during the winter months.

Sorry Jay...

Your advice is just simply wrong.

When the A/C is operating the cooling vanes of the evaporator will be as low as 33F, and keep in mind that the evaporator is quite thoroughly buried (insulated!) within the A/C plenum where there will be virtually no convection airflow once the car is shut down.

In point of fact 3 minutes may not be even enough time to exhaust the liquid refrigerant stored in the reservoir.

Absent some device or modification the only solution I found is to leave the windows and or sunroof slightly open in the garage each and every night during the summer when the A/C is in use consistently.

Year ago, 95?, I purchased a Lexus A/C evaporator, weighed it, dipped it in a bucket of water, weighed it again and then sat it out in the open air of a closed ~70F two bay garage. After two days its weight indicated that it still held over a pint of moisture on the surfaces.

For many years my practice was to disconnect the A/C compressor clutch during the winter months. My 2001 RX300 has two c-best options that when set correctly by the dealer unlinks the A/C from the defrost/demist/defog mode, and allows me to disable the A/C indefinitely during the winter months.

Not starting a debate but when I owned a diesel the shutting off before you stopped WORKED! I even do it now. All you are trying to do is evap "some" of the moisture that will be in the sys.

It might be wrong in some eyes but so far it has worked for me and many others on the old diesel forum.

To each his own..

I have a 92 es300 and have noticed a musty type smell when i run the a/c and a smell when i run the heater. I've looked on the site already and figured it was a cabin filter that needed to be replaced but when i called the lexus dealer in town they said that the 92 es300 didnt have a cabin filter so does anyone have any ideas what it might be??

Yep, Toys is correct. The dealer told me the same then I looked for myself and Bam! There was the slot.

After reading this thread tonight, I went out and checked to see if my 94 ES had the cabin air filters.

I easily found the slot that they fit in; but when I removed the cover, I found that there were no filters inside.

After a bit of searching, I found the filters at www.newlexusparts.com. The part number is 88880-30040, and the price is $35.54 with free shipping. According to their website, this filter set is for 93-97 models.