Gas Mileage Suffering

chilphil

Just an FYI (or a vent of my stupidity - however you want to look at it) even though I've seen this on the forum before...I just wanted to share my own personal experience:

I was having the throttle body issue with carbon build-up, stalling after short stop and re-crank. I don't have the time to clean the throttle body for atleast the next month or so. What I decided to do is throw some Seafoam into the gas tank. My hope was that the car would run a little better and not stall as often upon re-start. Mission accomplished....car running like a champ!

My next bright idea came when I thought that I would put in some V-Power for the "added cleaning properties" - wink, wink. Well that was just stupid and now I realize that. I didn't drive my car for a week while out of town over the holidays...drove wife's jeep cherokee for hauling presents around purposes. Normally after driving my wife's truck for any period of time, I'll hop in my ride and feel like I'm in Gran Turismo! Not the case. Feels like I lost about 20HP! Above and beyond that I realized today that instead of the 310 to 320 miles I normally get on a tank of gas (I tank up at 1/4 tank), I am currently at re-fueling point and have gotten a whopping 250 miles on my tank of super duper! That is roughly 20mpg with mostly HWY driving....not the 27mpg they put on the sticker in 97' :)

The saving grace is that I did this same stupid stuff about 6-9 months ago and after a tank and a half of reg. my car was running like a champ again.

take it easy

Don't be afraid to run farther. It's an 18.49 gallon tank. Find the time to sit down & clean the throttlebody & such. Ya, you just diluted the gas. Run it up to 375-380 & fill it so you don't leave as much crap in there.:cheers:

Edited by Toysrme