Cleaned Up Gs400 Grille

Well I did it this weekend...I scrubbed off the old Flat Black paint on the grille. I used paint thinner and very fine steel wool. It took about 3 hours total and a lot of scrubbing. But definitely worth it, it shines like I payed 200 bucks for it to be chromed. If you haven't done this already Its the easiest mod for first timers. Good Luck and thanks to all for the info this forum rocks.

Here are some more...

post-21157-1135796405_thumb.jpg

post-21157-1135796439_thumb.jpg

post-21157-1135796512_thumb.jpg

post-21157-1135796545_thumb.jpg

Well I did it this weekend...I scrubbed off the old Flat Black paint on the grille. I used paint thinner and very fine steel wool. It took about 3 hours total and a lot of scrubbing. But definitely worth it, it shines like I payed 200 bucks for it to be chromed. If you haven't done this already Its the easiest mod for first timers. Good Luck and thanks to all for the info this forum rocks.

Here are some more...

Biggie, Nice job, Works real good on our grilles, I really like the color of your G4, Looks sooooo sweet !!!!!

Thanks dcfish. I can't believe that these grills clean up so easily and so nicely. I'm pschyed about the color cause I don't see too many this color green. Thanks again, what color do you have?

Black on Black, Looks great with the chrome grille ;)

http://home.att.net/~dabaysidejill01/wsb/h...eID-798178.html

That's right your GS was one of the first images I saw with the cleaned up grille...that made me do it it looks amazing on the black. How do you like the black interior....personally I think it's definitely the sharpest of all interiors. I have tan which is ok but the black with the wood :whistles: amazing!!!

That's right your GS was one of the first images I saw with the cleaned up grille...that made me do it it looks amazing on the black. How do you like the black interior....personally I think it's definitely the sharpest of all interiors. I have tan which is ok but the black with the wood :whistles: amazing!!!

Love it, The dash shows dust, But it is always great to be surrounded by. ;)

Hey guys.

First post on the board...just bought a total cherry 1 owner 98 GS400 with 49K on it. The thing is brand new.

Anywho, is what you are saying, all I need to do is remove the paint on the grille with fine steel wool and it is chrome underneth the paint?

Let me know.

Thanks.

yup...

Just apply some paint thinner (outside cause it's pretty stinky stuff to work with) and scrubb off flat black paint with fine steel wool to reveal the chrome underneath. I couldn't believe it either...it's that easy and the steel wool does not scratch the chrome. Try it it looks amazing

yup...

Just apply some paint thinner (outside cause it's pretty stinky stuff to work with) and scrubb off flat black paint with fine steel wool to reveal the chrome underneath. I couldn't believe it either...it's that easy and the steel wool does not scratch the chrome. Try it it looks amazing

It is really worth the effort, And if you want you can strip the entire grille for a full chrome look instead of just the vertical slats. ;)

you can search and see if others on this forum have done an 01 G3, but the best way to tell is if you look at the grille it has a flat black finish....if you look close (unless the automobile is brand new) you'll see tiny chips in the black paint that are a shinny chrome. If that is that case than I'm sure you grill will also work. To detach simply take a wrench to the 10mm bolts on the inside of the hood (I believe there is 5 in total) and pop out of the hood. It's in there pretty good but once you unscrew the bolts and the handle (the one that opens the hood) the grille simply pops out. Then unscrew the L symbol and pop that out and your ready to go.

Good luck and post some pics when your done.

WOW! What a difference. Although it took me 3 hours to do it, probably because I didn't use anything other than the steel wool to help remove the paint, but nonetheless it still worked. It was pretty easy but you just have to have patience since there are 22 slots. It was definitely worth it though. It's like a completely different grille. It probably works on all GS grilles from 98-05 model years but don't quote me on that. Lexus should have offered the grille in chrome from factory, but all I know is that I'm glad I didn't send it out to "get chromed" or buy those cheap chrome strips they sell on ebay. Definitely worth it for all you GS owners if you don't plan to switch up the grille for a completely different one. Thanx for the help guys. I'll post some pix possibly tomorrow.

WOW! What a difference. Although it took me 3 hours to do it, probably because I didn't use anything other than the steel wool to help remove the paint, but nonetheless it still worked. It was pretty easy but you just have to have patience since there are 22 slots. It was definitely worth it though. It's like a completely different grille. It probably works on all GS grilles from 98-05 model years but don't quote me on that. Lexus should have offered the grille in chrome from factory, but all I know is that I'm glad I didn't send it out to "get chromed" or buy those cheap chrome strips they sell on ebay. Definitely worth it for all you GS owners if you don't plan to switch up the grille for a completely different one. Thanx for the help guys. I'll post some pix possibly tomorrow.

Congrats :cheers:

I heard that it only works on 98-00 GS's. Is this true or will it work on my 01 GS3? Also, how do I take the grill off?

This mod will work on the 98-05 GS. The 01-05 has a different shape but it will still work. As a matter of fact, the 02-03 SportDesign version of the GS300 comes with the larger slat "chromed". :)

As for removing the grille, I can't remember how many bolts (3?) there are. It has been awhile since I looked. ;) Just open up the hood and look at the back of the grille. It should be pretty evident.

• 2 months later...

I did the mod I'm just waiting to post some pix soon. But thanx for the reply.

Guys, sorry I took so long to get the pix but I had problems with my computer and cam software

where did you purchase your side marker lights?

Guys, sorry I took so long to get the pix but I had problems with my computer and cam software

Yo that looks sweet, would you know if I can chrome out the grill for a 93 GS300?

Yo that looks sweet, would you know if I can chrome out the grill for a 93 GS300?

I bought the side marker lights on Ebay. They don't look as quality as the OEM but I'll see how long they last. I'm not sure if you can do this mod to a 1st gen but you can search on this forum to see if anybody else has done it.

Great Pics!

I just started scrubbing the flat black paint off last night as well. Went to home depot after work to pick up "FINE 00" wool and cleaned of about a third of the bars without paint thinner before I got too tired.

I'm curious though about what the chrome underneath the flat black paint is? Is it a type of metal, plastic coated with metal, or just plastic? I don't want to scrub too hard and wear off the chrome.