2001 Gs300 Electrical Problem

I bought a CPO 2001 GS300 Nov, 04. It currently has about 55K miles on it.

Here's the problem:

If it is raining out and the temparature is around 40 degrees F, parts of the electrical system may not work. The steering wheel will not come into position when I put the key in the ignition. The doors will not lock when I put the car in drive. The power lock button on the driver door doesn't work. Sometimes the indicator light for the headlights will not show up. One time the temp gauge would cycle on and off.

The problem is sporadic. Sometimes restarting the car makes the problem go away. Other times it goes away gradually over a day or so.

The car spent about 5 - 6 weeks at the dealership. They seem unable to find the cause of problem. They have had field support come up and look at it twice and field support doesn't seem able to diagnose it either. They have replaced 4 ECUs, one of which was the body ECU.

I got the car back 5 days ago and they thought it was fixed. It rained yesterday and the problem reoccured. So it's back at the dealership. This is the third time I've brought it in for this issue.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior before?

Edited by bortass

I bought a CPO 2001 GS300 Nov, 04. It currently has about 55K miles on it.

Here's the problem:

If it is raining out and the temparature is around 40 degrees F, parts of the electrical system may not work. The steering wheel will not come into position when I put the key in the ignition. The doors will not lock when I put the car in drive. The power lock button on the driver door doesn't work. Sometimes the indicator light for the headlights will not show up. One time the temp gauge would cycle on and off.

The problem is sporadic. Sometimes restarting the car makes the problem go away. Other times it goes away gradually over a day or so.

The car spent about 5 - 6 weeks at the dealership. They seem unable to find the cause of problem. They have had field support come up and look at it twice and field support doesn't seem able to diagnose it either. They have replaced 4 ECUs, one of which was the body ECU.

I got the car back 5 days ago and they thought it was fixed. It rained yesterday and the problem reoccured. So it's back at the dealership. This is the third time I've brought it in for this issue.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior before?

I would push for an exchange, Pick out another GS with similar milage etc... And give LEXUS there problem back, After all it sounds like it was existing when you bought it.

I would push for an exchange, Pick out another GS with similar milage etc... And give LEXUS there problem back, After all it sounds like it was existing when you bought it.

The problem did not start until this September, so I had the car for 9 months already. I'd expect that I'd have seen this happen last spring since it was very wet in the Northeast. The flip side is I don't know yet if it would happen when it's wet but warm.

Finding another GS will not be easy up here. They're a bit rare since they are rear wheel drive and alot of people don't like that in the snow.

I am thinking about talking to management, not in the service area, at the dealership about this. I do feel that they are trying to resolve the problem and aren't giving me a run around. I'm just starting to wonder if this is something they can fix. My thought, not knowing jack about cars and ECUs, is that there may be a crack someplace, like a wire or ECU or seal, that expands when it's cold out and allows moisture in and causes a short.

Lastly, I am assuming that Lexus field support are in fact high level experts. Maybe I'm wrong there, but it worries me that even they can't seem to figure it out.

I'm hoping that maybe someone else has seen this happen before and might be able to shed some light on it.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by bortass

The problem did not start until this September, so I had the car for 9 months already. I'd expect that I'd have seen this happen last spring since it was very wet in the Northeast. The flip side is I don't know yet if it would happen when it's wet but warm.

Finding another GS will not be easy up here. They're a bit rare since they are rear wheel drive and alot of people don't like that in the snow.

I am thinking about talking to management, not in the service area, at the dealership about this. I do feel that they are trying to resolve the problem and aren't giving me a run around. I'm just starting to wonder if this is something they can fix. My thought, not knowing jack about cars and ECUs, is that there may be a crack someplace, like a wire or ECU or seal, that expands when it's cold out and allows moisture in and causes a short.

Lastly, I am assuming that Lexus field support are in fact high level experts. Maybe I'm wrong there, but it worries me that even they can't seem to figure it out.

I'm hoping that maybe someone else has seen this happen before and might be able to shed some light on it.

Thanks for your time.

I had the same problem on my gs400 as you did. It only happened when it rains really hard, Then my nav,heat,windows etc... stops for a day or two. But my friend took out the ECU from the car and blow dried it, becase rain got into the ECU. After that the car has been fine since then. But let me know if you do get it fixed.

I don't mean to be a smartass, but things contract when its cold...wow sorry bout the car. that really sucks. i have similar problems that could not be diagnosed, but have not reoccured since the repair place took everything apart and put it back together. aparently it fixed itself

I don't mean to be a smartass, but things contract when its cold...wow sorry bout the car. that really sucks. i have similar problems that could not be diagnosed, but have not reoccured since the repair place took everything apart and put it back together. aparently it fixed itself

Things contract in the cold therefore a crack will expand since the two sides will pull away from each other.

Don't worry, I didn't take you as being a smartass.

I did notice that they have a 2003 GS 430 with 37K miles on their website. Based on the book value of my GS and the equity in my loan, I almost think I could get it for the same loan amount that I currently have with my GS.

Well they may be making progress. An FTS from California has seen this happen before. They're gonna replace the gateway ECU today and drive it around over the weekend.

I'm gona see if this fixes it. If not, I'll start pushing for a different vehicle. Unfortunately the GS430 was sold today, otherwise I probably would have taken it for a spin and tried to get it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well they think it's fixed. Interesting story too. They went to replace the gateway ECU and discovered it was missing. From the condition of the bracket, they don't think it was ever installed. Lol.

Well turns out it is not fixed. They're talking about sending the car to NJ and having it "ripped apart" to try to determine what's wrong.

I was told that GSs are the most reliable of the Lexus models. I guess I landed one of the 'bad' ones. Too bad since I really like it alot better then the newer ES I've had as a loaner. I think it's time to either get a new car or see if the dealership will buy back mine for book value. They've had 4 shots to fix it and they can't seem to figure it out.

And now my wife is saying her PT Cruiser is better since it's never had a problem :cries:

Sorry to hear about your problems. I just want to encourage you to not give up on Lexus. My 98 still runs great. Somtimes, even new, you get a bad one. As for used, CPO or not, you are taking a risk on how the previous owner took care of the car. Even if the owner was good, things can still crop up if you ar ejust plain unlucky.

If you go that route, I hope you can get them to buy it back and get into another GS. Chances are, with Lexus quality, you will get into a better vehicle.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your problems. I just want to encourage you to not give up on Lexus.

I haven't given up on them. I brought it in Friday so the FTS could look at it again. I think they had a technician in Japan involved remotely as well. Anyhow they let me know that they found a wire with questionable conductivity. They are going to replace the entire wiring harness.

I can't complain about the service level. They've had the car alot lately but they've made as hassle free as possible.

Also the car has me hooked. I've been driving newer ESs alot lately and it doesn't compare. If I had to get a new car, I'd want another GS :cheers: