1997 Lexus Es300 - Questions From A New Lexus Owner

kashi125

Hi,

I bought a 1997 Lexus ES300 about two weeks ago with 120,000 miles on it. This is my first lexus ever, and I am extremely happy with it. I have been reading this forum and you guys are very helpful. Thank you!

Some details about my lexus before I ask the question: The car runs very smooth. No problems at all. Its hard to believe it has 120K miles on it. I just came back from a 800 mile trip and averaged 28.4 miles/gal.

Ok my question is:

When I start the car in the morning (cold weather) the engine runs at about 1200 RPM for a while and smoke comes out of the exhaust and there is a burning oil smell from the exhaust. I am aware of the sludge problem in this year lexus. I checked the oil cap and there is a little sludge there but the oil dip stick has very clean oil on it with no signs of sludge.

Once the engine warms up, the RPM is about 750, no smoke from exhaust, and very little smell. Should I be worried about sludge problem? What is the easiest/cheapest way to find out?

Sorry for the long post. I am very excited about my lexus and my next vehicle will definitely be a lexus. I will appreciate your help in this matter.

FYI: The previous owner had the following changed at 100K miles (he gave me receipts): Spark plugs and wires, timing belt, all fluids flushed, new brakes, new tires.

Edited by kashi125

Hi,

I bought a 1997 Lexus ES300 about two weeks ago with 120,000 miles on it. This is my first lexus ever, and I am extremely happy with it. I have been reading this forum and you guys are very helpful. Thank you!

Some details about my lexus before I ask the question: The car runs very smooth. No problems at all. Its hard to believe it has 120K miles on it. I just came back from a 800 mile trip and averaged 28.4 miles/gal.

Ok my question is:

When I start the car in the morning (cold weather) the engine runs at about 1200 RPM for a while and smoke comes out of the exhaust and there is a burning oil smell from the exhaust. I am aware of the sludge problem in this year lexus. I checked the oil cap and there is a little sludge there but the oil dip stick has very clean oil on it with no signs of sludge.

Once the engine warms up, the RPM is about 750, no smoke from exhaust, and very little smell. Should I be worried about sludge problem? What is the easiest/cheapest way to find out?

Sorry for the long post. I am very excited about my lexus and my next vehicle will definitely be a lexus. I will appreciate your help in this matter.

FYI: The previous owner had the following changed at 100K miles (he gave me receipts): Spark plugs and wires, timing belt, all fluids flushed, new brakes, new tires.

Good luck with your lexus, I just bought a 96 that just hit 100,000 and love it. I cant help you on the mechanical issues but wish you the best.

I don't know sludge from fudge.

What I know is that I have a well maintained 92 ES300 with 252,000 miles on it and it runs great.

Maintenance is the key so have a good mechanic give you advice, then follow it. The members here have been fantastic sources of information and wisdom. Good advice only helps if you take it, though, lol.

Welcome to the club. ;)

rosie

Thank you for the information. I also hope to get a lot more miles from it since it has been maintained very well in the past and I intend to do the same.

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who had a sludge problem and got it fixed without changing the entire engine? Any ideas how much it would cost to have the mechanic check out if there is a sludge problem?

Hi,

Ok my question is:

The engine running at about 1200 RPMs when started is normal. I don't know if running at 750 RPMs when warm is normal for that model. I have a 1990 and the RPMs drop to 650 when warm. The oil in the exhaust is probably due to oil leaking into the valves overnight. You could increase the weight of your oil to see if that helps. It probably will work and your shouldn't have a problem with it living in Houston. If you lived in the northern US you wouldn't want to increase the weight during winter. If you have sludge on the oil fill cap you most probably have sludge in the engine. The easiest/cheapest way to fix it is to use Seafoam, but be prepared to be banned from your neighborhood as it will send a tremendous amount of white smoke out your exhaust for up to an hour as it burns the crud out of your engine. I'd suggest that one of the first things you'd want to do is to drop and clean out the sludge and crap in your oil pan. What's in there will eventually add more sludge to your engine.

They all have a normal idle of 650rpm for an M/T, 750rpm for an A/T +/- 100rpm. They don't crank well if the starter can't achive 400rpm.

Only good way to find out about sludge is to tear the engine apart. The valve covers come off & drop the oil pan. There could still be some inside the heads, or in the block you can't see, but generally sludge happens in the valve covers first. There is a lot of heat & not a lot of oil flow. What is in the valve covers is allowed to pretty much go where it wants to before it drains back out.

Or you can flush the crankcase out with however you like to do it & see what comes out.

Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, Kerosene/Diesel fuel have all been popular methods for a very long time. Auto-RX has become exceedingly popular... Tho it's expencive, takes f'ing forever to work & IMHO doesn't deserve the massive amount of praise it get's.

I've been on a kersoene being for awhile on my R/C engines & just finished it on this car. Add a quart to the oil, let the engine idle 10 min, then drain the oil out. Pour another however much through it so it collects all the sediment out of the pan & drains out (or just drop the pan). Re-fill like normal.

Toysrme- Question, How hard is it to replace the RVCG on my 98? Front is like 10 minutes but rear looks like 1 hour? Any suggestions or instructions.

Trying to figure out what parts I will need. I figure if I have some free time coming up I want to replace them. Only a little dirty on the sealing surface (little wet) nothing bad.

Just the OCD is taking over!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

It's not bad as long as you have enough room to grip it. Just give a steady upwards pull. Penitrating oil helps. I forget which Toyota v6 it is, but one of them also has a Jesus clip on it. That one's a pain.

I assume I need to remove the air chamber on the top, some hoses etc?