Brakes And Wet Weather

When I learned to drive (a long time ago), I was told to apply the brakes gently after going through a puddle to dry them off so they would work when needed. The rainy season has started and it occurs to me that this probably doesn't work for my RX 400h. If I apply the brakes lightly, the brake pads won't be applied. Splashy big puddles are common here when it rains.

Does this not matter with modern brakes or all the smarts that are attached to the brakes now? Of course the brake pads being wet won't hurt for most stops because the generator load will do the braking but I want them to work in a panic stop situation.

When I learned to drive (a long time ago), I was told to apply the brakes gently after going through a puddle to dry them off so they would work when needed. The rainy season has started and it occurs to me that this probably doesn't work for my RX 400h. If I apply the brakes lightly, the brake pads won't be applied. Splashy big puddles are common here when it rains.

Does this not matter with modern brakes or all the smarts that are attached to the brakes now? Of course the brake pads being wet won't hurt for most stops because the generator load will do the braking but I want them to work in a panic stop situation.

I think that valuable lesson was geared more toward drum brakes. Those suckers would flat not work if they were wet.

Disc brakes work just fine when wet, so not to worry... besides, like you said, there ain't much you can do about it anyway....

:cheers:

I think that valuable lesson was geared more toward drum brakes. Those suckers would flat not work if they were wet.

Disc brakes work just fine when wet, so not to worry... besides, like you said, there ain't much you can do about it anyway....

:cheers:

I agree!