Mufflers

nc211

I've noticed now that it's cold out, the car's engine sounds louder. It sounds like the muffler under the front seat area is getting weak. I'm getting a good bit more of that "exhaust" rumble noise. I have also noticed a stronger than usual exhaust/fuel smell first thing in the morning at startup. It's coooold outside too. Question: How long do these mufflers usually last? Mine are all original.

The reason why I'm on the hunt now for some of these possible issues is because the cold weather tends to make the car show it's pending problems more. With the tax refund season coming up...I'm making a list...and checking it twice.

1) Tires

2) Weather Strip around front doors

3) Air Filter

Are on the list for sure.

Thinking about:

1) Muffler(s)

2) Alternator parts or new one possibly

Oh yeah, my cel is not on..infact the thing has never come on.

Thanks guys!

:cheers:

If the noise is present mostly at cold start, and quietens down with warm-up, it may be the EGR pipe, unless it has already been replaced. Pal of mine's 92 LS did that, and my diagnosis was correct, but I referred him to the dealer for the replacement. The dealer has some tricks to do it quickly, so the labour was not too bad - just over one hour I think.

Hmmmmm...intersting, thanks SRK! I'll start there and move on. I've really noticed that when I'm going 75mph+, the engine really hums, or maybe the exhaust...something is humming that's for sure. But I've also got the 4 speed, not the 5, and at 80 mph I'm turning over about 2500 RPM's. She definetly doesn't have that ultra quiet feel to her at those speeds anymore. Not sure if I'm too concerned for what it would probably cost to eliminate the noise. But I can feel a slight vibration in my feet. Whatever it is, it's coming from that part in the exhaust line.

I've noticed now that it's cold out, the car's engine sounds louder. It sounds like the muffler under the front seat area is getting weak. I'm getting a good bit more of that "exhaust" rumble noise. I have also noticed a stronger than usual exhaust/fuel smell first thing in the morning at startup. It's coooold outside too. Question: How long do these mufflers usually last? Mine are all original.

I noticed that my exhaust smells a little rich in the morning also. Mine has always done (as well as most other cars that I've been around) it, so I accepted it as "normal?" The cat's are in the close vicinity of the driver underneath the car, are they black/burnt on the outside? I'd get the car up on ramps, and poke at all of the exhaust pipes underneath the driver's area to see if anyhting (pipes, heat shields, etc.) wiggles/rattles/etc.

If the noise is present mostly at cold start, and quietens down with warm-up, it may be the EGR pipe, unless it has already been replaced. Pal of mine's 92 LS did that, and my diagnosis was correct, but I referred him to the dealer for the replacement. The dealer has some tricks to do it quickly, so the labour was not too bad - just over one hour I think.

I'll be getting mine replaced soon after Christmas when I have the time. I can hear that ticking in my nightmares, and it's making me crazy! :snoooorrrtttt: There is a thread on CL that makes it sound like a cracked EGR pipe is somewhat common on the LS.