Is My Next Car An Rx 330?

Cyberella

Hi there..

CORRECTION -- RX 300 -- NOT 330

So I've been a devout pick up owner for the last 7 years. Then one day I woke up and went all girly on myself and now I want a better class of truck. It has to be able to tow a bass boat and get good gas mileage.... thus leading me to the RX 330 AWD. I searched on online and found several 1999 models within my price range of around $12K. Yes, the mileage is a little higher but fortunately I live with a certified mechanic.

My questions then become: Are there there any repair issues I should be aware of, particularly over 120,000 miles? Do expensive little computers start going on the fritz at random times? Are there seat heaters that might blow and catch my butt on fire? When things start not working right, do they need to be hooked up to life support at the Lexus dealer? Does anyone have any regrets with their purchases?

Please share with me your experiences with replacing general maintenance items such as alternators, water pumps, heater cores, parts costs, etc.

Any help you guys can offer to turn this Ford girl straight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Edited by Cyberella

You'll find very mixed reviews on this forum. Some owners love their RX300, some despise them.

I fall into the latter category. My wife has a 2000 all-wheel-drive RX300 that is in a nutshell the worst vehicle I've ever had in more than 36 years of driving. As you'll come to understand by studying this forum and others like it, the AWD RX300 is subject to a much greater percentage of transmission failures than would be expected. Ours failed at 48,000 miles even though like all of our vehicles, it has been meticulously maintained. Since 2003, we've also had to deal with the following common problems: cracked exhaust manifold, multiple failed oxygen sensors, leaking rear main oil seal, and failed front strut mount rubber bushings. I forced Lexus to cover all of these items without charging me a dime for them, even though some of these failures took place after the expiration of our warranty. But I'm a bulldog and not many owners will get the kind of positive response I've received from our local service manager over the years.

The two-wheel-drive versions seem to be less prone to transmission failure, but they do experience the other common failures I've mentioned above. In my opinion, the RX series is nowhere near tough enough to use as a towing vehicle - you are asking for transmission problems if you do this. One thing you'll hear from owners who are both pro and con with their RX300s is that you MUST change your transmission fluid at intervals of from 15,000 to 30,000 miles, and I certainly agree. If you don't, you are a failure-in-waiting. And if you buy a pre-owned RX300, if you can't get ahold of the maintenance records that indicate the transmission fluid was changed at least every 30,000 miles, I believe you are making a great mistake if you opt to purchase that vehicle anyway.

My best advice is to do plenty of research before you make your final decision. But based on our experience, there will never be another Lexus SUV in our garage once we get to the point where I'm willing to swallow the depreciation on my wife's vehicle which will probably be at about 125,000 to 130,000 miles. She'll reach 100,000 miles before New Years Day.

In closing, I'll mention that from a quality, durability, and longevity standpoint, I'll take my 1999 5.9 litre V8 Dodge Ram pickup over my wife's 3-litre V6 2000 RX300 every single time. My Ram has been a dependable workhorse that just doesn't break down and it can tow anything I chose to pull around. In contrast, her RX300 has been babied more than any vehicle we've ever owned and it has required more than $9,000 worth of Lexus service in order to fix the above-described component failures. Fortunately, I've yet to give Lexus a cent towards these repairs - if I had been required to pay out of pocket, we would have unloaded this vehicle long ago....

After I posted this, I found the thread regarding random issues and just about scared me away entirely from RX's.. Now after your experience, I'm now seeing the Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition at the top of my list. My 153+K mile F 150 has given me little grief -- <knocking on my wooden head> but having no campershell is starting to be an issue. Hauling packages or items that aren't going straight home (and I find myself toting things on rainy days because that's my luck) currently have to be done in the back seat of an extended cab. Carting dogs that aren't smart enough not to jump out of an open bed and lynch themselves on a tether is one of my main concerns. And wearing out the tranny of an AWD is my highest concern.

Guess I have a lot of homework to do. Thank you for your advisements!

I'm now seeing the Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition at the top of my list.

You might want to check out the Consumer Reports and JD Power reliability ratings. Both the Chevy Tahoe and Ford Expedition score poorly, especially after several years of ownership. Both have poor gas mileage, especially the Ford. Sounds to me like the best vehicle that would fit your needs is the Toyota 4Runner. Better gas mileage than the Ford and Chevy, best reliability and durability in the business, and a standard 5,000 lb towing capability.

Trust me when I say the 6 banger Toyota on a wet boat dock didn't have a good outcome. :cries: I was only willing to go to a 6 cyl Lexus if it were all wheel drive. (well, only because it's a Lexus in my price range.) I can afford to feed a V8 and we know how to fix Chevy's and Fords.. Get just enough practise to keep us fresh.

Why not just put a camper shell on your current F-150 if it still gets the job done with few problems? And crate those dogs - it's the only safe way to transport them. We've been crating our dogs when travelling for more than 20 years, and we've yet to have a single problem with a dog when doing so....

Given the information provided here I probably would not purchased a used AWD RX300. An RX330 sure, but there seem to be issues with the transmission longevity on this vehicle. You also have issues with potential engine sludging on pre 2002 vehicles also.

Likewise I also wouldn't purchase a 1997-2001 ES300 because of the potential for a sludging issue.

The Expeditions seem to be relatively good vehicles, and they're probably much more suited to pulling your boat anyways.

If you want a Lexus you could always find an older LX series, built off the Landcruiser platform and they're very tested and reliable. They'll also be able to pull your boat.