Dimming Lights

nc211

I've begun to notice with the temp's falling that when I put my foot on the brakes and the rear lights come on, the front's dim "flicker". The interior lights don't seem to dim, or not so much that I can tell. The car starts up fine in the morning, although did notice a slight little drag this morning after a night of freezing rain / mix. I'm thinking it's time for a new battery. Mine looks pretty bad and probably 3 + years old. I don't think it's the alternator going bad because everything else works fine. I just have begun to notice the dimming now too since it's getting cold.

Whew...that's great to hear! I was hoping it was just the battery. Rf, what kind did you get? I've been a fan of DieHard for years. Got any other recommendations for the LS400?:cheers:

Edit: What is the difference between a "Southern" and a "Northern" battery?? Never heard of this, and which one would a North Carolina guy use? It gets hot like the south is known for, but it also gets cold "down into the teens at night sometimes". Not like International Falls type cold though of -1,000 degrees or anything.

nc,

i've learned the hard way.

now on all of my family's cars, i just replace the batteries every 2 years regardles of their conditions. the cost is less than $40 at walmart with acceptable quality and warranty coverage. no more battery testing, charging, adding water, mailing rebates......

Time to add to my signature. Went to sears and bought the strongest Die Hard they had for $86. 700 cold crank amps / 8 year warranty. Hope this thing doesn't spin the starter right out of the engine bay! Hahaha

Well, got the new battery in, but it's still doing it. The head lights seem to be dimmer than usual. The lenses are clean. Think I'll get the alternator checked for output this week at autozone. I'm wondering if I didn't zap it when I flushed the pwer steering fluid....it did get a little messy under there, even with a shop rag under the cannister. Question: Anyone have the posts about those alternator bushing thread parts to replace handy?