Considering A 2001 Is

ranchorodriguez

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 2001 IS. I am almost certain to take it in for an inspection before purchasing it. I would still like to know what are some of the common problems with the 2001 model. I'm interested in any mechanical problems that you may see with this year. I just want to be sure they look these items over throughly before purchasing.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 2001 IS.  I am almost certain to take it in for an inspection before purchasing it.  I would still like to know what are some of the common problems with the 2001 model.  I'm interested in any mechanical problems that you may see with this year.  I just want to be sure they look these items over throughly before purchasing.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

The only standout problem was a slow, sluggish shifting issue, which was fixed on a TSB with a ECU reflash. If the car has had the reflash, there should be a sticker to that effect under the hood. Mine was an early 2002 and it had the reflash. Later on they incorporated the program into production.

If you want manual transmission, you have to go to 2002 and later models. There was none in 2001.

The only other thing I can think of was the CD changer jamming. I don't think it happened a lot but some did.

Thanks for replying back.  I couldn't find any threads specifically outlining known issues with 2001 models.  I guess I am looking for more of a list then "I have this problem..."

Thank You.

You can to to www.alldata.com and plug in the model and year and see all the TSB titles.

• 1 month later...

haha yeah man i just got my is300 two weeks ago. i must say the color is stunning under the sun. diamond white pearl.

as far as problems go i gotta agree with bart kat, the auto is very sluggish for me. even in the steering wheel shift.

i just love the car otherwise though, i got alot of plans in the future but not anytime due to the fact i saved up all my money for the car and now im broke to buy other things. its a great car though, pretty much the same engine as a supra.

but id suggets a 2002 otherwise.

i dont know why there arent that many threads on the first gen is300.