Water Drips In Form Cieling During Car Wash

so i just got a car wash, and as i'm sitting in the car getting it washed, water started heavily dripping from where the garage door opner buttons are....enough to fill a small glass....I had previouysly checked befroe entering the wash that the sun roof was closed....the last wash i got was a couple months ago, and there wasn't any dripping....I had the winshield replaced once, but that was over a year ago, and i had the car washed since, without problem.....

anyone ever seen this before?

Thanx

so i just got a car wash, and as i'm sitting in the car getting it washed, water started heavily dripping from where the garage door opner buttons are....enough to fill a small glass....I had previouysly checked befroe entering the wash that the sun roof was closed....the last wash i got was a couple months ago, and there wasn't any dripping....I had the winshield replaced once, but that was over a year ago, and i had the car washed since, without problem.....

Thanx

I've never had a leak, It seems quite obvious that it is a glass seal, I would have the windshield seal checked first, Then the sunroof. Sounds like a large leak to happen all of a sudden.

Thanx

lexus has a TSB out about leaking sun roofs. There is a repair kit installed by th dealer.

Thanx

lexus has a TSB out about leaking sun roofs. There is a repair kit installed by th dealer.

i live in MA, and i wonder if its related to the snow we just had...caus eit snowed, rained, then snowed in a 5 hour period, so maybe some water got inbetween the seal then froze.

do you have a link to this TSB? is it a free repair by the dealer?

Thanx!

I checked for a TSB for MY2000 and found none relating to the sunroof or water leaks of any kind. If someone has the TSB number, I'd like to see it.

There are a few possibilities for your problem.

1. The windshield of course. A leak can develop at any time, particularly after a new windshield has been installed. The glass shop should be consulted to check on that.

2. One or more of the sunroof drains may be clogged. There is a drain hose at each corner of the roof. They are accessible with the roof open at each corner. They are probably burried under the roof opening edge and hard to see. If you can find them, blow compressed air through each to make sure they are clear.

3. One or more of the sunroof drains may have frozen closed. Park the car in a garage, preferably heated, overnight. This will make sure they are not frozen and then go to the carwash. If there are no leaks, open the roof when you get home and look in the channels surrounding the roof. There should be very little if any water in them, assuring you that the drains are clear.

If you are still having a leak you can narrow down the cause by first taping over the edges of the closed sunroof with 2" clear packaging tape and then running water over the roof. If it doesn't leak, the problem is with the windshield.

Thanx

i live in MA, and i wonder if its related to the snow we just had...caus eit snowed, rained, then snowed in a 5 hour period, so maybe some water got inbetween the seal then froze.

Thanx!

The TSB is avail at techinfo.toyota This is a pay site 10.00 for 24hour access.It has a wealth of info. Well worth 10 bucks. You can print or send to your files.

Don't know if this repair is a free fix. It did say to look at the slide rales if there is pooled water on the top. From being bent in slightly. There is also a TSB on a wind noise reduction foam kit install

My roof is quite noisey. Will call Lexus.

Thanx

Thanx!

The TSB is avail at techinfo.toyota This is a pay site 10.00 for 24hour access.It has a wealth of info. Well worth 10 bucks. You can print or send to your files.

Don't know if this repair is a free fix. It did say to look at the slide rales if there is pooled water on the top. From being bent in slightly. There is also a TSB on a wind noise reduction foam kit install

My roof is quite noisey. Will call Lexus.

do you have the TSB# for the sunroof? Lexus said they cehcekd the computer, and found no such TSB

Thanx

Thanx

Thanx!

I'm thinking your drain line frooze up and therefore the water dripped into the car. I bet you dont even find a problem since it rained and froze and rained again I'm thinking thats your problem. Take it to the car wash again and see if it even leaks.

Thanx

Thanx!

I'm thinking your drain line frooze up and therefore the water dripped into the car. I bet you dont even find a problem since it rained and froze and rained again I'm thinking thats your problem. Take it to the car wash again and see if it even leaks.

the TSB is BO93-008 it's for 93 ls400, But could apply to others.

"the TSB is BO93-008 it's for 93 ls400 But could apply to others."

Every TSB applies to particular model years and car models, often spanning specific series of VINs. The TSB in question is absolutely not relevant to a modern GSxxx.

Case in point:

Sunroof/Moonroof: All Technical Service Bulletins

Water Leakage At Moonroof

BO93-008

BODY

JULY 16, 1993

Title: LS 400 WATER LEAKAGE AT MOONROOF LS 400

On some LS 400 vehicles, water may leak past the moonroof and into the passenger compartment. To correct this condition, the sliding roof guide rail

covers have been modified as follow:

PRODUCTION EFFECTIVE:

From VIN: JT8UF11E_P0150922 Production Date: 09/92

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have to wonder, how can this TSB apply to any other car besides those specified? Simply, it does not.