The Right Pressure For Low Profiles On Sc430?

Yasmine

Hey I know the recommended pressure is on the inside of the door but how about for low profile tires?

Look on your tire for maxx tire presure and drop it about 5lbs. read other threads also have this info!!

I hope you're kidding about that.

Could you explain why?

Hey I know the recommended pressure is on the inside of the door but how about for low profile tires?

Look on your tire for maxx tire presure and drop it about 5lbs. read other threads also have this info!!

Could you explain why?

A good all around tire pressure, to start with, would be 35 PSI. If a tire has a max PSI of 55, I certainly wouldn't run it at -5 or 50 PSI.

For example, the rear tires on my IS350 are 255/40/R18 and they run at 37 PSI. I think that's a pretty low profile.

Could you explain why?

So what are you saying? I am saying as a gerneral rule whatever the maxx presure is on the side wall of the tire take about 5lbs off. I am not talking about any door sticker as the original question was asked it was NOT refering to stock tires, and what does 37 psi on a 40 profile tire have to do with anything? You never said what the maxx tire presure is on that tire?

A good all around tire pressure, to start with, would be 35 PSI. If a tire has a max PSI of 55, I certainly wouldn't run it at -5 or 50 PSI.

For example, the rear tires on my IS350 are 255/40/R18 and they run at 37 PSI. I think that's a pretty low profile.

Max tire pressure is just that. It's the pressure at which the tire meets its stated load rating.

Recommended pressure is the pressure for overall best overall performance, ride, tire life, etc, etc. The poster asked about low profile tires, as opposed to whatever the stock tires were. 40 series = low profile. 37 PSI is an example of a good pressure to run in such a tire. As state before that's "for example". The car owner can fine tune his tires from there based upon his own experience and preferences. Another general rule is that if you go plus one tire size, add 2 PSI above the car recommended PSI. If you go plus two size, then add 4 PSI.

What is so hard to understand about that?

Max tire pressure is just that.  It's the pressure at which the tire meets its stated load rating.

Recommended pressure is the pressure for overall best overall performance, ride, tire life, etc, etc.  The poster asked about low profile tires, as opposed to whatever the stock tires were.  40 series = low profile.  37 PSI is an example of a good pressure to run in such a tire. As state before that's "for example". The car owner can fine tune his tires from there based upon his own experience and preferences. Another general rule is that if you go plus one tire size, add 2 PSI above the car recommended PSI.  If you go plus two size, then add 4 PSI. 

What is so hard to understand about that?

Whats hard to understand is how you said it..... which is go with 37lbs in a 40 series low frofile tire. Now you could be 100% right but I would think a 16 inch low profile 40 tire compaired to an 18 inch low profile tire would not be 37lbs. Nor would it be if its a 205 as to a 245? but I could be wrong. My rule of thumb is adjust the maxx preasure by lowering it about 5lbs you should be pretty good.

• 2 years later...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you explain why?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what are you saying? I am saying as a gerneral rule whatever the maxx presure is on the side wall of the tire take about 5lbs off. I am not talking about any door sticker as the original question was asked it was NOT refering to stock tires, and what does 37 psi on a 40 profile tire have to do with anything? You never said what the maxx tire presure is on that tire?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any one got an owners manual as PDf file ( 2004 SC430) . I just bought it over the weeked and it didn't come with an owners manual.

Thanks,