Snow Tires

rocky2

What about snow tires.  Not so much for TRaction but stopping.  RX came with MICH tires.

First snow experience in RX seemed superior  in traction, control, and stopping than our rwd car.

Do you have a question here? If you like your tires and how they drive in winter conditions I wouldnt change a thing but in my opinion a winter tire' would' probably be even better.

What about snow tires.  Not so much for TRaction but stopping.  RX came with MICH tires.

First snow experience in RX seemed superior  in traction, control, and stopping than our rwd car.

Do you have a question here? If you like your tires and how they drive in winter conditions I wouldnt change a thing but in my opinion a winter tire' would' probably be even better.

I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM25 18" on my RX300, works like a charm, and I live in the mountains in Switzerland. On snow, ice, and even in slush they have me stopping and accelerating like I was driving summer tires. Only problem is fuel consumption.

PLEASE SPLAIN LEXUS????

Very well....From the Tire expert at the Toronto Star 'Wheels' column. ;)

"I would not use "winter tire" and "snow tire" interchangeably, though many tire shops do.

A winter tire is designed to run under all cold-weather conditions, including on wet, dry and/or cold pavement.

Some full-range, state-of-the-art tire companies — Pirelli, Bridgestone, Michelin, etc. — use the term winter tires.

A snow tire's main focus is to get through deep snow, with handling on dry, cold pavement way down the list of design criteria.

Winter tires do not age significantly faster than other tires when off the vehicle if they are stored correctly. Their lifespan is about five years, plus or minus.

They should be stored in a cool, dark area (preferably in your wine cellar), away from electric motors. Motors create ozone, which damages the rubber.

Too many people store their tires in the furnace room, which is the worst place in the house. It's hot, and ozone from the fan motor eats the tires.

What exactly is ozone?

The Canadian Oxford defines it this way: "a colourless unstable toxic gas with a pungent odour and powerful oxidizing properties, formed from normal oxygen by electrical discharges or ultraviolet light."

Ozone is derived from a Greek word meaning smell.

Remember that when your winter tires are on the car, you're saving wear on your summer set, so costs average out.

(Of course, installation costs have to be taken into account.)

As I calculate it, the break-even point is two years: keep the tires longer and you start saving money.

Winter tires are 5 to 10 per cent less fuel-efficient than summer tires. But what's the cost of a tow to the body shop and a new front end?

Any safety measure has a price".

:cheers: