Spark Plug Replacement

rtyson

Hello all,

I have a 98 ES300 with 142,000 miles. The last time I had the plugs replaced was at 82,000 miles. At this time I have replaced the front bank plugs which was fairly easy. But I have located the rear bank plugs but can someone tell me how in the hell do I replace these plugs??? Can somebody walk me thru what needs to be done to gain access to these rear plugs, with pics would be great but I'll settlr for whatever I can get.

Thanks all,

Rick-In_Missouri

Hello all,

I have a 98 ES300 with 142,000 miles.  The last time I had the plugs replaced was at 82,000 miles.  At this time I have replaced the front bank plugs which was fairly easy.  But I have located the rear bank plugs but can someone tell me how in the hell do I replace these plugs???  Can somebody walk me thru what needs to be done to gain access to these rear plugs, with pics would be great but I'll settlr for whatever I can get.

Thanks all,

Rick-In_Missouri

The back are very easy too. Just go in from the sides (back of intake). You might need to move a hose or two but it is very easy.

did this yesterday and i never worked on a lexus or toyota in my life i have a 98 es 300 as well i went from the passenger side for all three my hands and arms were skinny enough to work back.. all i used was a 6 extension and a spark plug socket and to tighten the socket wrench.. the middle one was a bit tricky had to undo the extension from socket to get extension in and then reconnect and also had to diconnect when takin old plug out.. i didnt have to move a thing the back side took me about 30 min

kevin

did this yesterday and i never worked on a lexus or toyota in my life i have a 98 es 300 as well i went from the passenger side for all three my hands and arms were skinny enough to work back.. all i used was a 6 extension and a spark plug socket and to tighten the socket wrench.. the middle one was a bit tricky had to undo the extension from socket to get extension in and then reconnect and also had to diconnect when takin old plug out.. i didnt have to move a thing the back side took me about 30 min

kevin

BINGO. they are easy! :)

OK, so what I'm hearing is that you guys replaced the rear bank plugs without moving a thing. Yes, it would definitely have to be from the passenger side because I can't even see them nor could I ever reach them from the driver side although I did look to see if there was a better view! So don't remove anything, just bite the bullet and get my arm back there in the rear and 'Gitter Done' ! That's what it sounds like you guys did even though the working area is quite awkward and restrictive.

Thanks, I will do this. This hopefully may be easier then the TB cleaning and PCV replacement I did 2wks ago, well not the PCV.

I also want to replace my front struts but this is getting ahead of myself and yes I am aware that this has "been covered already" SKp... !

kdawglex04, you indicated that you have a 98 ES300 as well. I removed my MAF inorder to clean it. But when I removed the MAF it was a plastic enclosed piece. I did not seen any exposed wire, since you have a 98 as well can you explain what I should clean on this MAF since I see no exposed wire?

Thanks all, while doing some of your own maintenance can be time consuming I do enjoy knowing that I performed the work myself. It is self satifying and yes I am a newbie when it comes to maintenance.

Rick-In-Missouri

on our maf it looks like a bazooka lookin thing but if u look way dow inside there u will se the wires in good lighting just get some carb cleaner with a tube sticking out the sprayer and spray... after that just shake it out and wipe of the outside