Buying A 1999 Lexus Es300 Need Help

Hi, this is my first post. I am in the process of trying to buy a 1999 lexus es300 with 94,500 miles, and the guy was asking 10,900. I got him down to 9,000. Should I take the car at this price/ is this a good price? All the car needs is new tires, and a timing belt change. I figure 500 for tires and 400 for timing belt.

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Ran Carfax- 2 previous owners, everything checked out O.K. My mechanic is going to look at the car tommorow. Car drives good, oil changed every 3-5k, interior and exterior is in very good condition. The only thing that I could catch was a slight roaring/axle noise from the car at low speeds, didnt seem like anything major. Transmission shifted fine, no clattering from engine, etc. Looks like a good car, I am just hoping that I wont have to spend more than 1000 for timing belt, water pump, etc and new tires.

Do you have ALL service records from the other 2 previous owners too? or just the current owner? How long & how many miles has the current owner put on the car? I say that because of the engine gelling problem the 97 - 01 models have associated with Toyota's 3.0L V6 engine. If unsure, take it to your mechanic for an inspection......if the owner say's no be patient & find another ES.

For tires, I would suggest you seriously consider the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads & get a 4 wheel alignment. B) Good luck & welcome to the club!

:cheers:

Will ask him for more service records today. Already know it has had the 60k service. The current owner has put about 30k on it, but he told me that it has mostly been city driving, which i know can cause sludge buildup. My mechanic will look at car later on today.

My mechanic did a thorough inspection of the car and said it checked out and I should buy it. He noticed the struts had been replaced, but it needs new tires immediately and a timing belt/water pump change. There was a small amount of caked/thick oil on the top of the engine, but my mechanic said they all do that, and it wasnt a big deal. I am going to go buy the car tommorow for 9000 because the guy wont go down any more from that, and I think its a fair price considering kbb trade in is 8000. My mechanic says he will charge 800 for the timing belt/ water pump change and all other necessary belts. Does that seem like a good price?

any feedback appreciated, thanks

$800 for a TB/WP service is about what a Lexus dealership would charge. if you're commited to buying this ES and willing to pay that much, i would let the dealership do the work and let them inspect the car further for other possible worn out parts or problems. as mentioned a toyota dealership will do the job for couple $100s less and a reputable inde mechanic can be found to charge about half the dealership.

also sounds like you may have leaking valve cover gaskets if your engine is caked on the sides so inspect them for oil leaks.

Bought car today at 9000, also got a free jenson sub with the purchase. Tires were worn alot so I replaced them with michelin pilots at 87 a piece. Also did a front end alignment because my mechanic noticed the old tires were worn at the insides. Guy also gave me a free jenson sub with the purchase. So far I love this car, its in almost perfect condition- obvious its been taken care of, it also drives very good and straight now with new tires and alignment. Now have to replace timing belt/ water pump, i will go see what toyota charges and try to get my mechanic to at least match price because i trust him a lot more.

thanks to everyone for their feedback about timing belt and everything else