Just Hit 90,000 Miles

Can I wait till 120,000 miles to change the timing belt and water pump? I heard that it's okay to do that; at least for the timing belt. What condition were your timing belts in when it was changed?

How much would it cost to change the belt and water pump?

What does your owners manual say about what time & mileage to replace the TB? My advice would be to change the WP at that time as well, but follow the owners manual's suggestions. B)

:cheers:

I believe Lexus recommends replacement of TB and WP at 90k. I wouldn't wait to long b/c if the belt breaks, your car will not function and you may cause further damage if it breaks while in use. You could have someone take a look at the belts condition but again I would have it replaced within the next 5k miles.

7 years or 90thou miles whichever comes first. <_<  Replace water pump at the same time.

I would also recommend that you change the cam gears as well. Opportunity costs - get it ALL done at once. I just had my timing belt, water pump and cam gears replaced. That repair job at retail prices is in excess of $1,500 - it's a big job, but a timing belt failure on this engine could be disasterous. Major damage could result to the valves and cylinders. Don't hesiate to replace any hoses as well.

I have never heard of a recommendation to change cam gears. Where in the service manual does it state that?

The T-belt on the VVti engines is to be changed at seven years or 156,000 kilometres ( about 96k miles I think). The water pump is inspected, but not changed unless it shows signs of failure.