What Is "core"?

nc211

Might be a dumb question, but some say I'm a dumba**, so it fits. When I'm looking at part prices, and it lists a $value for "core", what are they saying? Ex: A 1993 LS400 Alternator can be purchased online for $273, but has a "core" value of $30. I'm lost on that translation :huh:

thanks guys / gals

"Core value" typically refers to the refund or credit you receive when you return your old part to the source you purchased your new part from. It usually applies to parts that can be remanufactured (such as alternators, starters, and compressors) or toxic parts that need to be disposed of properly (such as batteries).

So is the price they quote based upon me giving them my old part at time of purchase, or will be refunded that "core" amount when I bring in my old part to them?

If you buy the alt. from an online dealer what they will do is charge you the full amount of the alt and the "core" They will most likely send you information on were to send your old alt. to. After they receive your old alt. they will credit your credit card the thirty dollars. This is how most stores do things, but I have had companies that give the core credit up front but you have to send them the old part with in thirty days or so or they will assess the amount against your credit card.

Ahhh, ok, I understand now, thanks guys! :cheers: I sort of figured along those lines, just wasn't 100% sure how it went. Never too young to ask, never too old to learn.