Dual Exhaust Setup?

JtathBSC400

After I get all the small problems fixed I plan to do a dual exhaust set up on my car. I have been doing some research on this and I have some questions. My intent is to remove the third cat and do an x pipe in its location and duals to the mufflers, pretty common.

Now what size piping should I use? From what I have read it seem that 2.5 is the most common. I don’t want to lose any low end, but I would like to see some gains. So, I think that I might go with 2.25 or 2.00 since I am going to duals. I live in the Denver area and supposedly there is no one here that can do mandrel bends to the pipes, I will have to use press bent pipes. If some one know of a shop that does mandrel bends in Colorado let me know. And a decent shop for exhaust work, every one here that I have used does crappy monkey !Removed! welds and bends.

Second, what type of x pipe should I buy? Is if preferred to buy a pre-built one or to have the exhaust shop build one from scratch?

Third, what types of mufflers sound good? I know that there is a lot to debate on this but I don’t want an obnoxious car, but I would love to have a deep mellow tone. I have familiarity with Bassani exhaust on 4.6 Cobras and Mustangs, Bassani sounds great on modular and hemi type motors, so I think it might be worth wile on a 32v 4.0L. I cant find any one who has used these mufflers, just the Dyno max and Magnaflow mufflers.

Lastly will there be any gains with this set up? Or am I just killing the low end torque with an oversized exhaust. The car is a V8 and I would like it to sound like one, and new tips and mufflers would look nice too.

I know that’s a lot to ask but I don’t like to jump in and just throw parts on a car. I would like some good feed back, Thanks in advance, if there are any pictures that anyone could post that be great, Thanks again.

If you want max power get a pre built one which will have everthing made and look perfect.

A dual exhaust is always for looks never power as they lose power over a single setup from the turbulence at the Y .

Here is your best bet for all questions on a SC already answered.

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

I have read all that already. From what I have see on that sight they are using 2.5 duals and Lurkey mufflers (dynomax) and they did not say as to weather or not they gained any power. As far as a pre built setup, they only come with the mufflers and they attach at were the stock ones are already attached. I’m under the impression that there is some gains to be had if the large center section and resonators are removed and replaced with an x pipe and duals. Am I accurate in saying so? What pre-built systems are you referring to? Thanks for your time!

I love the high end stuff like JIC 's exhaust .

If you want to buy a x pipe get a prefabbed one as it is cheaper and will fit better.

I am still against an X pipe as it may sound nice but can only lead to scavenging the exhaust gases from turbulence of the crossing paths.

Did you see this post?

He did the same thing you are asking about.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=23639&hl=

IM000053s.jpg

Thanks for the post SK, I’ve been using the search tool on the forums, but that never showed up. Still wondering if 2.25 is too big for the car? Does any one have experience with this? I have been reading about sizing and some sights say that the smaller the diameter the more velocity the exhaust has and the hotter it will stay. The larger sizes allow the gasses to cool and become denser and this causes them to slow down in the pipes. The benefits for a smaller pipe are better lower end figures, and larger are better for high-end performance. Now I don’t drive around all day flooring it, usually just to get into traffic. I generally drive under 2grand and I am pretty easy on my cars.