Squeaking Coming From Clutch

This morning I noticed a weird(and quite annoying) squeaking noise coming from underneath the car when I press in or release the clutch.

Since I bought the car I noticed a slight whistling noise the clutch makes.

All I have to do is put my foot slightly on the clutch pedal and the noise disappears, but comes back if I take my foot off.

This did not really bother me so I didn't take the car to a mechanic.

My friends tells me this noise is caused by a faulty pilot bearing.

SInce this is my first car on a stick I have no clue what he's talking about.

The clutch doesn't seem to slip or do anything out of the ordinary except make these noises.

Has anyone ever had any of this happen to them?

the squeeking is probably from the clutch mastercylinder or the arm or linkage that pulls the cylinder. as for the pilot bearing it could be the problembut it might also be the throw out bearing. the pilot bearing supports the input shaft from the trans from the engine. its located on the center of the flywheel and it does go bad but no matter what there is a constant load on the pilot bearing so it shouldnt stop making noise after you apply slight pressure so i think it might be the throw out bearing which load is applied when the clutch pedal is depressed. so the noise goes away whenload is applied to the bearing. but in anycase its probably time for a clutch replacement and a clutch master overhaul

It sounds more like the cluch cable. I have the same problem with my SC. My mechanic said I don't have to worry about it, but eventually you might want to replace that cable. It's caused by extreme heat and the cable is dry. You can dress it from underneath the car, and that should take care of the problem. It could still be the cylinder too. Try dressing it first.

I went underneath the car and found where the squeaking noise is coming from. (Should have taken a pic or two. Promise to do it next time)

I'm not sure how to describe it but there is a cylinder(hydraulic) that pushes a little lever connected to the clutch housing.

There's a few rubber boots there and one actually has a factory made hole in it for god knows what.

I sprayed the whole thing down with WD-40.

The squeaking changed tone a bit and has gone away for the most part and now the pedal feels quite differently.

It is a lot more fluid whereas it used to jerk just a tad while being depressed.

Hopefully as the WD-40 gets into all the nooks and crannies, the sueaking will go away alltogether.

My study of the manual transmission continues.

The pedal in ours squeaks as well, like a gummy hinge. Post up the pics if you get some. Lithium grease is the best way to get the ya ya's out. WD-40 dries out too quick and tends to contirbute to rusting if the applied area is not well cared for. The old SC had a throw out bearing going in it and that would result in a pig squeal sound on engagement as well as chatter. Never did fix it though.

I had the same problem with my '92 SC300. I listened to the noise for 8 months before I replaced the whole clutch. The noise was comming from the Clutch Release Bearing (throw-out bearing). Since I had to go into the clutch to replace the bearing I just replaced the whole clutch. You can find the kit I used for $95 on E-bay and it only took me about 6 hours to install it. This is a job you can do yourself, however I can tell you some of the bolts between the Engine Block and the Bell Housing can be difficult to remove.

Also, I would be careful about spraying any lubricants into the Bell housing. I would think this would collect dust and begin to gum up the Pressure Plate.

Oh no. I wouldn't dare spray anything into the bell housing.

I just sprayed some connectors that go to the housing.

The noise disappeared for a while but is back now.

I guess I'll just wait for the whole clutch to go out and get it done then.

Thanks for the input.