Sc400 No Ignition

kamdog

OK, this is my brothers car and what is happening is very strange.

Car:

95 SC400

What happend

First, the car was working fine with no signs of something going wrong. After starting the car up fine in the morning, at the next start attempt, nothing happend. By nothing, I mean, all he gets is the door chime and the little light that says the door is open. At first I thought it was the battery, we tried to jump it and nothing happend. Took the battery to "Autozone" to check it and it was fine. I dont' think it is the starter. Next I put a multimeter to the fuses to see if that might be the problem. Well, I find 12 volts at the usuall places. I found that the fuse lable "AM1 100amp" had no voltage. On a hunch I took some heavy wire with a fuse and, jump 12 volts from the battery to that fuse and was able to start the car. The strange thing is that all the indicator lights still stay on, like battery, abs and so on. I was able to drive it to my house. now I'm stuck. I don't know much about these cars, (more of a honda guy).

Someone please help. This is very strange, I think it might be a relay but I can't find a diagram for it.

Thanks ahead of time.

Regards,

Go to alldata online and subscribe to a $14.95 subscription and that will give you the info for the wiring schematics. From there I would trace the voltage from the ignition switch to all the way to the starter and make sure that you have all the proper voltages. Just trace the wires and find were the break is if any and test the relays for continuity.

It sounds like the starter circuit has no power.

Have you checked the rest of the ground terminals that go to the engine and body from the battery?

Does the radio turn on or just the chime and door open light?

If you can jump the wire to start it and it is a 100 amp fuse then i guessed you already looked at the fuse and it is good?

Possibilities are the battery grounds

the ignition switch

i doubt but possible the alarm

JtathBSC400 - thanks for the info

Nerpie - that was the first thing I looked at

SKperformance -

I didn't check out the other grounds. The only things that power on are the door chime and door open light. No radio, windows, dash lights. I am able to turn on the headlights, which tells me it might be something with the ignition system, but not sure. All fuses are good, the ignition switch seems to be good because I can jump the fuses and the turn the ignition and start the car without any problems.

again thanks for the feedback.