Transmission Hesitates When Engine Is Cold

yaupoman

98 ES 300, 80 k. Now that the overnight temp is 40 - 50, the car shifts rough (it's kind of lurching forward) in the morning maybe just once when the car shifts from either 2nd to third or from third to forth. Once the engine is warmed up, then there is no problem. Is this normal or something serious forthcoming?

The dealer chnaged the transmission fluid at 65k. My other mechanic says the transmission fluid is dark as if no change of fluid occured and he recommended a transmission flush for $200. The dealer told me that only 4 to 5 quarts of fluid is being replaced when they chang the fluid. Do I need a flush?

Thanks.

When I lived up in CT, I encountered the same kind of behavior during the winter time, and it's pretty much normal. Your car would take a little longer to shift from 1st to 2nd, and so forth. However if you see a check engine light on, then that probably indicates trouble in the transmission area, etc.

When I lived up in CT, I encountered the same kind of behavior during the winter time, and it's pretty much normal.  Your car would take a little longer to shift from 1st to 2nd, and so forth.  However if you see a check engine light on, then that probably indicates trouble in the transmission area, etc.

FYI, The transmission has to heat up to 153 degrees to reach optimal shifting, And is quite normal when cold [ less than 40 degrees ] double check the fluid level, I would install a inline trans fluid filter. The fluid should be red when you check it not brown, Use a white paper towel to determine color. If you get a flush bring it to a toyota dealer[ cheaper labor/fluid than LEXUS stealer ] Good luck and keep us posted. :cheers:

The dealer told me that only 4 to 5 quarts of fluid is being replaced when they chang the fluid. Do I need a flush?

Yes. The dealer is just draining the pan.

Flush the transmission (Should cost more around $90).

Or drain the pan & refill, drive around the block, park shift into all gears. If you're just doing a drain & fill, you need to do it THREE (or more) times to statistically change the majority of the fluid (i.e. more than half).

5 quarts of Super Tech Dexron III @ Walmart is $6. Go hog wild.

Once the fluid is done, I suggest flushing it every other year, or draining the pan with every oil change (& still flush it every few years).

If you're real smart, add an auxillary cooler after the stock one. $5 for some 5/16, or 3/8" fuel/oil hose + $10 for a used cooler.

FYI, The transmission has to heat up to 153 degrees to reach optimal shifting, And is quite normal when cold [ less than 40 degrees ] double check the fluid level, I would install a inline trans fluid filter. The fluid should be red when you check it not brown, Use a white paper towel to determine color. If you get a flush bring it to a toyota dealer[ cheaper labor/fluid than LEXUS stealer ] Good luck and keep us posted.:cheers:

Actually there is nothing wrong with my transmission right now. The symptoms that I pointed out happened before my original transmission was dying on me (because of faulty solenoids, luckily it happened just before my extended warranty expired) ;) I had the fluid completely flushed after a replacement and used transmission was installed, so the fluid has stayed nice and cherry red for the last 18K miles. No hard shifts or any whacked-out behavior, my '01 ES drives like new at 117K miles :D