First Oil Change

When did you get your first oil change? I have read that Lexus recomends 5000 miles, but other people have told me you should do the first oil change on a new car at 1000 miles....just curious to know what you have heard or when you did yours.

Thanks

Derrick

When did you get your first oil change?  I have read that Lexus recomends 5000 miles, but other people have told me you should do the first oil change on a new car at 1000 miles....just curious to know what you have heard or when you did yours.

Thanks

Derrick

Per page 48 of the 2006 Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement... 5,000 miles! As the dealership performed this at no additional charge, I let them use the oil of their choosing. I may well switch to a synthetic oil for the subsequent changes. While dinosaur oil might be fine, I think the intense heat of the Dallas area suggests I give strong consideration to one of the synthetics!

RolandB

I got my first oil change at 5000 miles.

I am coming up on 10000 miles and am considering switching to synthetic oil. I have heard that synthetic oil may improve mpg. I also heard that synthetic oil should not be used until 15000 miles.

1. Has anyone verified an increase in mpg with synthetic oil?

2. Is there anything to the suggestion to wait until 15000 miles?

3. What is the additional cost in switching to synthetic oil?

My dealer uses Castrol products.

I am coming up on 10000 miles and am considering switching to synthetic oil. I have heard that synthetic oil may improve mpg. I also heard that synthetic oil should not be used until 15000 miles.

Go to synthetic as soon as possible. After you switch do not go back. It is just a better product for your car. Porsche (and other top end cars) comes with it installed from the factory. Of course synthetics are more expensive...they last longer and provide better protection. You cab get good deals on Mobil1 synthetics at Walmart or Costco.

My service guy suggested waiting until the 2nd oil change (10K) to put in synthetic. This give the engine plenty of time to througly break in (and begin to wear out ;) before you go all slippery. If you really want a dramtic chang switch over to Premium gas at the same time...

Purchase your own oil at costco or sams etc and just tell the service guy at whereever you have your oil changed that you have your own oil. Most places will give you a break on the cost of the service... if they are ethical. These places will charge you premium prices for the synthetic products.

I recommend Mobil 1.

Has anyone attempted changing their own oil on their RX400h yet? I was told by a dealer tech that there's one or two drag-reducing covers that must be removed, and a special wrench required for reaching the filter. I've always changed my own oil, but probably won't on my RX400h, based on what the tech told me. I'll for sure go with the mfrs recommended intervals of 5000 miles, and I'll have the dealer do the first one since it's free. 1400+ miles now and smiling more every day :D . Averaging 25 mpg mostly highway driving.