What Should I Do W/ My Car?

jackhop

i have a 2001 is300 and for the past 6 months or so i have been experiencing vibration problems w/ my steering wheel and floorboard when i get to about 40-65mph. at first, i was told to get my tires balanced, i did that, numerous times...didnt help me much. then i was told that maybe a new driver side tire would help stop the vibration, got one, didnt help. i talked to someone else about it, he told me to get new rims. the puppies cost $500 apiece, so i finally got one at a decent price and put it on the front driver side tire. the vibration in my steering wheel is a little better, but still remains and the floorboard is still vibrating at the above mph listing. do i need to get another rim for the back? the other 3 rims to be replaced? or is something else maybe wrong? it's just an awkward drive. at times it doesnt do it, but 90% of the time, especially right after i get in the car while it's been sitting awhile, it kicks in...so annoying, please help! thanks guys.

jack

If any rims are bent, they should be able to see that while spinning them on the balance machine. If balance is ok, then I'd check to see if any wheel/tire assembly is out of round. A good tire shop should be able to do this.

Another check would be to rotate the tires to different locations and see if the vibration moves around.

One other item that could cause vibration is if the drive shaft is out of balance.

Most high speed rated tires have a folded layer of nylon which will flat spot a little when the car sits and you can feel that when first driving, but that should go away after a few miles of driving. This would be an entirely separate issue from the continued vibration.

If any rims are bent, they should be able to see that while spinning them on the balance machine. If balance is ok, then I'd check to see if any wheel/tire assembly is out of round. A good tire shop should be able to do this.

Another check would be to rotate the tires to different locations and see if the vibration moves around.

One other item that could cause vibration is if the drive shaft is out of balance.

Most high speed rated tires have a folded layer of nylon which will flat spot a little when the car sits and you can feel that when first driving, but that should go away after a few miles of driving. This would be an entirely separate issue from the continued vibration.

hey, thanks for the reply, i pretty much think i know what should be done. the drive shaft doesnt get out of balance unless the car was wrecked, right? and it hasnt been wrecked. im thinking about getting another rim, and put it in the rear. b/c the steering wheel doesnt hardly vibrate, but the floorboard does quite often. would that mean that the vibration is from the rear? hope to get a good answer, thanks again.

hey, thanks for the reply, i pretty much think i know what should be done.  the drive shaft doesnt get out of balance unless the car was wrecked, right?  and it hasnt been wrecked.  im thinking about getting another rim, and put it in the rear.  b/c the steering wheel doesnt hardly vibrate, but the floorboard does quite often.  would that mean that the vibration is from the rear?  hope to get a good answer, thanks again.

A problem with a rear wheel will usually be felt through the floor or the seats. Moving the swapping the front and rear wheels on the side where the vibration is ought to tell you. See if the vibration moves.

I've had two vehicles with out of balance drive shafts from the factory. But those were Fords. LOL

You're right, you should change one thing at a time until the problem is fixed, rather than taking a "shotgun" approach.

• 4 weeks later...
If any rims are bent, they sho...............

the drive shaft doesnt get out of balance unless the car was wrecked, right?  and it hasnt been wrecked.

Your car could also be towed... My brothers 91 cutlass supreme was towed from parking lot and it was hung by rear lower control arms which bent and cars alignment was lost plus bushings were very loose. Control arm were made of sheet metal un a shape of "U" . it wasnt hard to bend them .... so check your shafts, just lift the rear and have soeone spin your wheel..

you never know with those tow companies.

regards, Bart.