Motor Mounts

For my 98LS 170k miles, last owner said he was told the motor mounts were wearing but did not need replacement yet. I have seen no sign yet that there is a specific problem but want to be prepared when I take it in for a check next week.

What is the approximate cost for motor mounts to be installed by an independent?

What will I hear/feel when they really need to be replaced?

How many are there, should all be replaced at once?

How easy to do for a not-to-skilled DIY-er?

Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

Buddy of mine back home took a look at my ride today and noticed that the engine was jumping in different directions (3-4inches) while switching gears. He suspects that the motor mounts are trashed. How many motor mounts are in the ES300 and how much would it cost to replace one mount? Thanks.

Baja, I also have a 98 LS but with only 112K miles on it and I just replaced my three mounts myself. First, I should mention that the transmission mount was the easiest to replace and was in the worst condition of all. Second, the front right mount (passenger side) had compressed almost 0.5 inch but was otherwise intact. The front left had also collapsed 0.5 inch, but in addition it had also nearly completely separated at the top. I imagine at your mileage if you have the cash to spend to replace them then do it, it does make a huge difference!

Now here is the problem, an independent shop in my area will replace all three, parts and labor for $600, believe me that's not too much it is worth every penny to have it done for you. I don't know if the pre 98 models were much different in this area, but I did read Bob's excellent write up and I do consider myself above average skilled as I have done many wheel bearing jobs, timing belts, timing chains, pinion bearings, you name it, yet this was one job I wouldn't touch again. It really kicked my behind trying to get the front mounts out and all the stuff I had to disconnect and remove is simply not worth my time.

I believe broken mounts can damage critical engine components and potentially trash the transmission. I called the Lexus dealership to schedule an appt. for the replacement and one of their tech's emphasized that 97-01 ES300's rarely suffer damaged/broken mounts. He seems to believe that there might be a transmission issue. Is there a way to test the transmission on my own?

I have a 96 LS400 with 130 K, and I suspect that the engine mounts are in a bad shape… My question is: what is the worst case scenario if I didn’t replace the mounts.

Thanks

Your teeth will fall out from the rough ride. <g>

New motor mounts do wonders for the enjoyment of your car. Brings it back to the new car ride.

I just bought the parts to change out the mounts on my 1990 LS400, 147m. I am getting a slight rattle on acceleration. Bob's writeup will guide me thru the process.

Just for comparisons sake, I just replaced the motor mounts on my 1991 MBZ 300CE. I was also getting a slight rattle on acceleration and also a "sloppy" start with the car shuddering on startup.

The repair is much easier than with Lexus as there is nothing to unhook when you raise the engine and nothing in the way to pull out the old mounts. Toughest part was getting at the upper bolt on the drivers side. As you can see in Bob's photos, the Lexus mount has bolts sticking out of it and is secured by nuts. The Mercedes mount is shaped like a pickle jar and is attached with bolts, hence less lifting of the engine to slide in them in. There is a big difference in cost also. Knockoff MBZ mounts on ebay were $60 ...a pair! ($100 each at the dealer for OEM). No knockoffs available for the Lexus so you are paying $100 each but at least they are Toyota quality.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 MBZ 300CE

2000 MBZ C280

Well, I was noticing some vibration at stop lights and decided to just have both motor mounts replaced. I think the pricing was VERY fair--part were $87 each and my indie mechanic charged me $85 for the first one and $58 for the second--he said while everything was up there he couldn't justify chargine the ful $85 twice. What a guy! Now runs smooth as butter. Thanks for th advice guys!