Is It My Starter Or What?

daffy

Hi all u Lexus lovers,

I went to start my 1991 Ls400 with 263,000 miles. Nothing but "click". I turned the headlights on and they were bright. So battery is good. I jiggled the gearshift and tried again and she started! The starter turned the engine over fast, so I would think that this original starter is still good. Is it the starter relay starting to go or some loose connection in my gearshift? Anybody know? Thanks

Daffy :(

Hi SKperformance,

Thanks, that's on the starter where I can't get to, without taking intake off, right?

Now, I would like to curse the engineers :censored: of Lexus for putting starter in the wrong place! I guess I will take it in to get repaired, or can I tackle it?

Daffy

I  jiggled the gearshift and tried again and she started! The starter turned the engine over fast, so I would think that this original starter is still good.

The wiggling of the gearstick makes me think the neutral start switch on your box is in need of attention. Could be dirty contacts, could be on the way out. I will look into this tonight.......

Good luck.

Leadfoot.

Hi,

It happened again, so I just jiggled the gear shift in and out of park and she started right up. Makes me think that I have a bad contact somewhere. Is there a switch in the tranny that needs replacing? Thanks, Daffy

Hi Leadfoot,

I think you are the closest to solving my problem. Where do I find this neutral start switch? Is that the one where all the relays are? Through eliminations I would like to start with the cheapest part first. My way of thinking is, after 263000 miles, a new relay would only add to the reliability anyway. What actually activates the starter relay? There must be a simple switch from the gearshift that actually activates the starter relay, then the solenoid is activated from the starter relay, which in turn, starts the starter itself turning.

I am really impressed with the reliability of the starter so far. It's the longest lasting starter I have ever had. I am pretty sure that it is still not the starter itself or the solenoid, causing the problem. Thanks, Daffy