Leather Seat Color

The black seats in my ES300 look a little sun faded and have a few scratches that show the white lining.

I would like to find a product that can be put on the seats to add color back to the seats. I do not want to get into dying the leather. I have used Zymol, which looks good, but fades after a month or so.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

The black seats in my ES300 look a little sun faded and have a few scratches that show the white lining.

I would like to find a product that can be put on the seats to add color back to the seats.  I do not want to get into dying the leather.  I have used Zymol, which looks good, but fades after a month or so.

Hi Rusty,

If you can post pics it would help diagnose the problem.

Leather should not have a white lining. Are you sure the portion scratched is leather and not vinyl?

Most leathers don't fade unless the leather has been highly exposed to UV. The most likely problem is that the leather is bone dry. When the leather dries it expands causing the leather to look lighter in color. Try hydrating the leather with several back-to-back applications of leather conditioner.

If the Zymol product is not getting the job done, you might try our Sonus brand (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-610.html), which I have used to restore many different leather products.

David

I would like to find a product that can be put on the seats to add color back to the seats.  I do not want to get into dying the leather.  I have used Zymol, which looks good, but fades after a month or so.

Hi Rusty,

If you can post pics it would help diagnose the problem.

Leather should not have a white lining. Are you sure the portion scratched is leather and not vinyl?

Most leathers don't fade unless the leather has been highly exposed to UV. The most likely problem is that the leather is bone dry. When the leather dries it expands causing the leather to look lighter in color. Try hydrating the leather with several back-to-back applications of leather conditioner.

If the Zymol product is not getting the job done, you might try our Sonus brand (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-610.html), which I have used to restore many different leather products.

David

I had a couple of wear lines on mine. I took a black sharpie and went over them with a fine point. They totally disappeared.

My seats are not faded, though. The color is uniform and in excellent condition.

Test in a spot that won't show first, just in case there is a color difference. Sharpies come in all difference colors, though I wouldn't recommend them on anything but black leather.

Anyway, this was the solution that worked on my ES300 (92)

rosie

Rusty,

DEFINATELY check out Leatherique at www.leatherique.com!!! This is simply the ONLY product for leather. The owner is great and will answer questions, this is a family owned business for decades and they restore rare and collector car leather, etc. I will only use Leatherique - period. Check them out - the results are amazing. :cheers: