1993 Es300 Manual Tranny Problems...

ArplnTech

Hey fellow Lexus Owners.....

Ive got issues with either my manual tranny or my engine idle. When I go to take off from stop as soon as I release the clutch I have a rapid loss of power as if I released the clutch too fast. My RPM drops all the way down to idle and the car begins to jerk as if I was just learning how to drive stick. I replaced the clutch a month ago because it was definetly gone but I had this problem before also.

Any Ideas?????? Its drivin me nuts....

Thanx everyone...

Hey fellow Lexus Owners.....

Ive got issues with either my manual tranny or my engine idle. When I go to take off from stop as soon as I release the clutch I have a rapid loss of power as if I released the clutch too fast. My RPM drops all the way down to idle and the car begins to jerk as if I was just learning how to drive stick. I replaced the clutch a month ago because it was definetly gone but I had this problem before also.

Any Ideas?????? Its drivin me nuts....

Thanx everyone...

I'm not too familiar with the manual transmission in the Lexus's, but does this car have a hydraulic clutch release? If it does, did you check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder? Also, the slave cylinder could be bad.(Leak down).

Has the clutch pedal freeplay and pushrod play been adjusted using the procedure outlined in the factory repair manual? These adjustments are pretty critical to prevent the car from jerking and bucking when you release the clutch pedal. It can also be helpful to bleed the clutch fluid from the clutch release (slave) cylinder.

I dont see the clutch slave or master cylinder leaking, unless its internal. When The clutch was changed, it was also bled. I thought that might be the problem so I bled it again, but it was no help.

Whats the procedure to adjust clutch pedal freeplay and pushrod play? I didnt know there was such a procedure.

Thanx

I replaced it with an OEM Exedy clutch..

I've solved the long time problem with the info on these forums..

Today as I was inspecting the engine I squeezed the Big Upper intake hose and I noticed that the engine almost stalled. I read on other forums that a loss of power is most likely a broken vacuum hose or Intake hose. I had a long crack almost all the way around the whole hose. I sealed it with some silicone to test it out and it works great!!!!

What happened was that when I accelerated from start the engine would shift and open up the crack allowing air to leak out. When the air leaked out the engine would stall then closing the crack and recovering from the stall. Thats why the car would bounce up and down because the engine would suddenly die then recover.

Thanks everyone for the posts to my problem and to the repair of my car.