Rds Question

My 400h is in the shop (key cylinder failure, not a fun thing). I have a 330 loaner and noticed the RDS works much better than the 400h unless I'm doing something wrong. The 330 continuously changes the right side of the radio display to show the artist, song or whatever the station is broadcasting. This is how my Audi used to work. On my 400h, it doesn't continously rotate, I have to press the Text button to see each segment. Am I doing something wrong or is the 400h not able to show the RDS info the same way the 2004 330 does?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

We just received our new RX400h and I noticed this same behavior. On my BMW 530i the RDS text scrolls continuously. Constantly pushing the "Text" button on our new Lexus is a pain, plus you never seem to grab all of the text correctly. Is there a better way? I didn't realize the RX330 behaved differently. Don't they have the same radio?

Can anyone comment on how RDS is supposed to work?

The RX400 manual (p. 311) is rather cryptic about RDS ....

"If the radio receives a radio text from RDS station, "MSG" appears on the display. Push the "TEXT" button, and a text message is displayed.

If the entire the message is not displayed, ">" will appear on the display. To display the rest of the message, push and hold the "TEXT" button until you hear a beep.

After the entire message has been displayed, the message will disappear.

In case a text message is not accepted on the display, you can push the "TEXT" button and hold it to display the rest of the message.

When the system can show the station name, "RDS" appears on the display. Each time you push the "TEXT" button, indication on the display changes from the band to the station name, a radio text in this order. After 6 seconds passes, indication returns to the band."

So I think part of the confusion is that this one TEXT button takes on several different functions depending upon whether the RDS consists of the station name, RDS text short enough to fit on one line, or longer RDS text that requires multiple lines to fit. And the button's function changes if you press it once, or hold it until beeps. Very confusing. And I still can't seem to make it show me the entire RDS text string for stations that provide song title, artist, and their station ID.

Can anyone comment on how RDS is supposed to work? 

The RX400 manual (p. 311) is rather cryptic about RDS ....

"If the radio receives a radio text from RDS station, "MSG" appears on the display.  Push the "TEXT" button, and a text message is displayed.

If the entire the message is not displayed, ">" will appear on the display.  To display the rest of the message, push and hold the "TEXT" button until you hear a beep.

After the entire message has been displayed, the message will disappear.

In case a text message is not accepted on the display, you can push the "TEXT" button and hold it to display the rest of the message.

When the system can show the station name, "RDS" appears on the display.  Each time you push the "TEXT" button, indication on the display changes from the band to the station name, a radio text in this order.  After 6 seconds passes, indication returns to the band."

So I think part of the confusion is that this one TEXT button takes on several different functions depending upon whether the RDS consists of the station name, RDS text short enough to fit on one line, or longer RDS text that requires multiple lines to fit.  And the button's function changes if you press it once, or hold it until beeps.  Very confusing.  And I still can't seem to make it show me the entire RDS text string for stations that provide song title, artist, and their station ID.

I have tried these things and still can't figure out how it works ... the RDS behavior on the 400h just seems random, even with respect to displaying the same RDS text. I wonder whether that's just a characteristic of RDS, or some problem with the radio in the 400h.

I have the same issue...can never figure out what the text button shows me every time I press it. It randomly switches between partial station or song information. Weird. Wish it could just scroll and the text button would switch between different source streams.