More Tile Questions....

RX in NC

My wife watches far too much HGTV and has decided that she wants a custom tile backsplash in the kitchen on the wall above the cooking surfaces. That wallspace is about 16 feet long and runs about 14 inches from the top of the existing granite countertop backsplash to the bottom flange of the row of overhead cabinets.

I've laid plenty of tile and this wouldn't be a major problem except for two factors:

1. She has selected three different tile sizes that will form a custom pattern.

2. That wallspace has seven separate electrical outlets and light switches.

What this means is that I know I'll have to make numerous extremely precise and intricate tile cuts, some of them U-shaped, in order to accommodate the outlets and switch boxes and cover plates and also at the point where the wallspace turns a 90-degree corner and heads for the dual kitchen sinks. You can't cut angles on tiles with even the best score-and-snap tile cutter.

What I need from all of you do-it-yourself tilelayers out there are recommendations on the best tool for the job, considering the cost factor as well as the ability to make any small cut necessary (including 90-degree angles). The main tiles (middle row) will be 6 x 6 installed on the diagonal, the border tiles (top and bottom rows) will be 3 x 6 installed horizontally, and the occasional accent tiles will be just 1 x 1 (no way am I even attempting to cut any of these).

With the precise cuts required and three different tile sizes involved, this project is going to be a bear. I'd appreciate any recommendations on what you believe will be the best cutting tool for this job. Almost surgical-like precision will be the key to achieving the professional look required.

Damn that HGTV. If anyone has any spare weapons of mass destruction laying around the house, please launch them towards HGTV network headquarters. My life would be a whole lot easier if that channel was obliterated from the planet....

I would go to HD and get there cheapest wet saw for tile. It is like $88 and would work just fine. I did two rooms and cut tile down to about 1 inches since the blades is not sharp and granite scraps I had. For $88 thrash it when done.

The u-shpped you will just make several cuts and snap the pieces out. The wall plate will cover it. I would just make severl cuts real close & then will just snap right off. This is what I did for my floor hot air ducks and worked perfect.

Thanks for your reply. I've thought about a wet saw, but I believe there are some other options that might be better for this project's particular requirements. I once saw a professional tile guy using a small hand-held power tool that spun a cutting wheel at extremely high speeds. It apparently allowed him to make very precise and intricate cuts, and the sparks really flew when he cut tiles with it. But I don't know what the tool was called, what the cutting wheel was made of, or how much this little device costs and where you find one. If anyone here knows, please post. In the meantime I'll check with some local tile distributors.

Thanks for your reply.  I've thought about a wet saw, but I believe there are some other options that might be better for this project's particular requirements.  I once saw a professional tile guy using a small hand-held power tool that spun a cutting wheel at extremely high speeds.  It apparently allowed him to make very precise and intricate cuts, and the sparks really flew when he cut tiles with it.  But I don't know what the tool was called, what the cutting wheel was made of, or how much this little device costs and where you find one.  If anyone here knows, please post.  In the meantime I'll check with some local tile distributors.

Let me look online. I am guessing those cutters are way up there in price. Mabe someone will loan you a saw. I know HD can cut 5 tiles for free I think.

I have used my wetsaw for such u shaped cuts by making mutiple cuts diagonally after you make the two sides of the u. The tile saw for 88 should work fine. I have their 299 saw which is great, but I do alot of tile work. by the way Harbor Freight Tools has that saw on sale for 59.99

I have used my wetsaw for such u shaped cuts by making mutiple cuts diagonally after you make the two sides of the u.  The tile saw for 88 should work fine.  I have their 299 saw which is great, but I do alot of tile work.  by the way Harbor Freight Tools has that saw on sale for 59.99

]

you are right on the HB saw for like $55. The problem I say when I needed one was slow shipping and high shipping.

the great thing I think about the $88 is after you are done, you toss it out unless you need it. In the end, you are still making out MUCH cheaper then any tile guy will post in writting.

• 2 weeks later...
I have used my wetsaw for such u shaped cuts by making mutiple cuts diagonally after you make the two sides of the u.  The tile saw for 88 should work fine.  I have their 299 saw which is great, but I do alot of tile work.  by the way Harbor Freight Tools has that saw on sale for 59.99

]

you are right on the HB saw for like $55. The problem I say when I needed one was slow shipping and high shipping.

the great thing I think about the $88 is after you are done, you toss it out unless you need it. In the end, you are still making out MUCH cheaper then any tile guy will post in writting.

I work in this field and can tell you that that $88 wetsaw ids great. Using new blades will get a cleaner edge.

Also, I think you are looking into the ROTO Zip (made by more than one company) This take a little practice to get control over the precise cuts you are looking for. Also great for cutting holes in tile (for plumbing a shower, floor drains etc)

Lastly, for really small precision cutting, a Dremel will drill holes and cut tile also. Good for lots of other stuff that wife may see on HGTV, too.

When I have done complicated backsplashes, I have laid the tile out and pre tiled onto backerboard., then installed and grouted when up.

Don't you love that? PRE-drilled, PRE-tiled, PRE-whatever? Oh HGTV!

rosie

Thanks for the suggestions, but I can't pre-install this application on backerboard and then just pop it up. There are multiple electrical outlets and light switches on the backsplash wall to contend with.

I'm thinking about doing some re-wiring to move the electrical outlets (but not the two light switches) to the bottom of the overhead cabinets and therefore get them off the wall and underneath the cabinets where they won't be seen and will be out of the way of the tile pattern. I've seen some very modern-looking slim and flat electrical outlet boxes at Lowe's or Home Depot that could work perfectly for this idea. My son-in-law is an electrician and he's coming over tomorrow with some tools and hardware. We may wind up doing a real number on that wall. If we can get the electrics moved and taken care of, I'll then have five former wall outlet holes to patch with drywall and then I can get started on the tile.

I still hate HGTV, and I have a feeling that hatred will be more intense after tomorrow....