My First Lexus!

Backspin9

Hello:

New to the board and my 1st post which is (obviously) about my first Lexus!! :D I bought a 2005 ES330 demo with 5200 miles on it. Silver metallic with black interior. A real beauty. I'm coming from a 1995 Avalon which served me very well for 8 years and I can only hope the ES is as reliable. I've wanted an ES for quite some time and finally found the exact one I was looking for. The price was right, got 4.8% financing, and with 50% down the payments are relatively cheap as payments go.

It has all the goodies including the 17" Michelin tires, premium sound system and traction control and so far I'm loving it. Even got free car washes for life. I've read here about the hesitation problems but I don't seem to be having anything like that -- yet -- and hopefully will not. I did get a 7yr/70K warranty because I am mechanically inept and would not have a clue what to do if there was a problem. I have a dealer a mile away and that's good. They have Lexus loaners if you need one and were very good to deal with. I was very impressed.

I do have a question about the gas and gas mileage. I was told the car will run ok on regular but the middle grade would give better mileage. Does anyone have any experience/comments on this? I've only put 1 tank of gas in it do far so it's hard for me to tell. Also, the car dislpays the average mileage you are getting. Is this very accurate? I do lot of low speed driving and it says I'm only getting around 16 mpg, yet it hardly uses any gas. There seems to be a discrepancy here. I'm going to fill it up again this weekend and will check actual mileage against how much gas it is using so I will be able to tell then.

Anyway, sorry to be long-winded. I'm excited to have this car and it's a dream to drive. I hope to be hanging around here a bit, too, and hopefully can throw in my .02 once in a while.

Regards,

Jim

Welcome and congratulations!

Do a search on the gas question there are several long threads on here where members have compared the gas mileage of regular vs high test.

As for that display, its not very accurate and driving low speeds makes the economy seem artificially low.

Enjoy it!

Hey Jim - Congrats! :cheers: From your neighbor nearby in Northbrook! Silver metallic is a gorgeous color. Looks great even in a Chicago winter! Post some pics when you can. I briefly owned a 93 ES300 with nearly 170k and it had only minor issues - Because yours is "new" if you are on top of the maintenance I believe you can easily achieve 300k miles or more. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.