Power Steering Fluid Instead Of Dextron

lexluxury

I have a very minor leak in the Power Steering Pump. Have been topping it off with regular power steering fluid from the drugstore once every few weeks. I read somewhere that I should be using ATF instead (with Dextron). I may have read this on one of these boards, not sure. Is this true? If so, have I done any damage by using regular Power Steering Fluid? Tx.

I have a very minor leak in the Power Steering Pump. Have been topping it off with regular power steering fluid from the drugstore once every few weeks.  I read somewhere that I should be using ATF instead (with Dextron).  I may have read this on one of these boards, not sure.  Is this true? If so, have I done any damage by using regular Power Steering Fluid?  Tx.

well, owner's manul calls for Dexron II or III ATF, and that ought to be the type you ever want to use.

Find the post on how to flush the system, and flush it asap...... Hopefully you will get away with no damadge. Also unless you want to buy a new altanator fix the leak. PS leaks are known to kill altanators.

YOu can try to put some Lucas Iol PS stop leak in the unit. It is OK in a lexus and works with DexIII

Hopefully SK will see this post, he can tell you what you may have done to your pump and or system.

Entire PS system is going to be replaced with new in a few weeks. Incredibly, I asked someone in the department at Lexus about this and he told me what I was using was fine. When I asked about the Dextron...he said "oh that's for the transmission". Geezus.

Find the post on how to flush the system, and flush it asap......  Hopefully you will get away with no damadge.  Also unless you want to buy a new altanator fix the leak.  PS leaks are known to kill altanators.

YOu can try to put some Lucas Iol PS stop leak in the unit.  It is OK in a lexus and works with DexIII

Hopefully SK will see this post, he can tell you what you may have done to your pump and or system.

Congratulations!

You just scared the hell out of me!

:wacko:

Yep, those dealers can be scary places.

I learned with my Saab, that just because they sell and service them, don't mean they know :censored:

I asked my shop about using the wrong fluid. They think it would not hurt the system, but would effect how well it worked as the viscosity could be different, but both are hydraulic fluids.

I just put in a PS pump from ATSCO bought though AutoZone. Lifetime warranty etc. Lowest price one I could find. But had to go into AutoZone. Does not show on web.

I think this company does PS racks also.

You can find their contact info on this post:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=25092

They sell nationally though Autozone, Pep Boys and others.

Dear Scaredy Pants. :ph34r: ..thanks for the followup..am considering all options!

Congratulations!

You just scared the hell out of me!

:wacko:

Yep, those dealers can be scary places.

I learned with my Saab, that just because they sell and service them, don't mean they know  :censored:

I asked my shop about using the wrong fluid.  They think it would not hurt the system, but would effect how well it worked as the viscosity could be different, but both are hydraulic fluids.

I just put in a PS pump from ATSCO bought though AutoZone.  Lifetime warranty etc.  Lowest price one I could find.  But had to go into AutoZone.  Does not show on web.

I think this company does PS racks also.

You can find their contact info on this post:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=25092

They sell nationally though Autozone, Pep Boys and others.