Thinking Of Putting An Extra Sink...

denslexusgx470

we decided to put granite countertops on our kitchen. so that means change the sink and faucet.

well while that's being done, we were thinking of putting the old kitchen sink behind the kitchen sink (patio) and was wondering if that was possible. i havent asked a plumber yet, but was wondering if anyone here has done that.

i was thinking, maybe use a drain pipe and connect it to the drain of the kitchen sink??? things like that. any suggestions???

still not yet 100% positive on this move . :whistles: :)

A good plumbing contractor can install water fixtures anywhere you want to place them, inside or outside. When we had six big dogs in our family about ten years ago, we made the decision to install a raised full-size bathtub in our garage to allow us to more conveniently handle all the year-round dog-washing we were doing at that time. I purchased and installed the tub where we wanted it located, and then contacted three or four plumbing contractors for estimates. We selected the one we felt was most capable of accomplishing the task with the minimum amount of risk to our plumbing integrity. He extended our kitchen water supply out to the garage and tied the new garage bathtub drain system into an existing drain, all under the house in our crawlspace. We still use this tub every day for multiple tasks and we've never had a problem of any kind with it. I'd hate to have to get along without a water supply and tub in the garage now that we've had one for so long....

The only problem I see with doing this is to make sure you have a water cut off so it won't freeze. I know people who have installed bathtubs like mentioned and I always thought it was cool.

I agree, should work fine. Also make sure to install a good trap so that leaves and things can't find their way into the drains.

I think you're a little mixed up with the purpose of a trap. The purpose of a trap is to prevent gases from backing up into a sink. Leaves can clog up any kind of trap.......but how do they get there in the first place.......unless the sink is out in the open and then you try flushing the leaves into the drain. :)

ok. thanx guys. now i've got more comments about this, i think i'm going to pursue it (keeping all your advices in mind). the sink will be under my patio, so the possibility of leaves or whatnots going into the sink will be less. i never even thought i'd have an extra sink like this.

we all decided to go stainless with the sink and faucets after the granites are installed so i ended up with an extra sink laying around in my back yard. then i thought (while standing in the back yard) to put the sink somewhere.

oh well. let's see what's going to happen. if it pushes thru, i'll probably post pix of it. :)

Seems like you got the info you needed on the outdoor sink so I'll chime in on the inside one. If you are getting granite - get an undermount sink. These are much better IMHO as they don't have the lip over the countertop to trap all of that grime. It's a nice clean sweep of the sponge to wipe the counter top into the sink.

Yep, an undermounted sink is the only way to go with new granite countertops. We installed granite countertops last autumn and at first I wanted to stay with our original porcelain kitchen sink in order to save about six hundred bucks over the new stainless steel sink that my wife preferred. But after seeing the benefits of an undermount sink, I had to admit that it's the only way to go these days. A much cleaner and sleeker look as well as a breeze for clean-up. My wife won out on this particular choice and it turned out to be the right way to go. I wound up donating our original sink and fixtures to a local Habitat for Humanity swap shop. Sure beats chunking a still-good sink into a landfill where no one benefits from it....

I agree, should work fine. Also make sure to install a good trap so that leaves and things can't find their way into the drains.

I think you're a little mixed up with the purpose of a trap. The purpose of a trap is to prevent gases from backing up into a sink. Leaves can clog up any kind of trap.......but how do they get there in the first place.......unless the sink is out in the open and then you try flushing the leaves into the drain. :)

Dammit Alan, I'm a Realtor not a plumbing contractor! (bad Star Trek joke, sorry lol) B)

I meant install a guard over the drain to keep leaves out ;)

I also agree on the undermount sink. Those porcelin farm sinks are also getting popular with granite counters but I prefer the undermount sink myself.

• 2 weeks later...

i finally decided not to get the extra sink installed. I got an undermount sink, stainless for the sink and faucets and i'm just gonna get rid of the old sink. but thanx anyways. i thought i could have made some use of the old sink. :o :whistles: