Extended Down Time

I have been hearing various stories about how long the RX400h can sit without being used. Since I drive a few different cars and we travel for weeks at a time during the summer, I was wondering if anyone had a fix on how long the car can sit without being used before the batteries are affected?

Also, are there any preventive steps that you would take if you were going to park the car for say a month?

I have been hearing various stories about how long the RX400h can sit without being used.  Since I drive a few different cars and we travel for weeks at a time during the summer, I was wondering if anyone had a fix on how long the car can sit without being used before the batteries are affected?

Also, are there any preventive steps that you would take if you were going to park the car for say a month?

My car sit for three weeks this summer, and fired right up upon my return. What surprised me was the the HV batteries were still about 2/3-3/4 charged. Since they are NiMH, I assumed they would have dissipated somewhat more than that.

• 1 month later...

I learned the hard way that you really have to be careful about accessories left plugged in. The power outlet down below dash, near the "tray" almost at foot level goes off when you turn off the ignition. But the socket up higher on the dash, near the radio, etc. is powered all the time.

I left my cell phone charger plugged in to the "always on" socket, without realizing that it was always on. No phone was connected to the charger, but it apparently still draws some power. Then I went out of town for a week. When I got back, the battery was dead as a doornail. Had to call and get jumped.

I've just learned that there's a service procedure that needs to be performed after a jump start, which probably explains part of why my mileage has been lousy since then.

I learned the hard way that you really have to be careful about accessories left plugged in.  The power outlet down below dash, near the "tray" almost at foot level goes off when you turn off the ignition.  But the socket up higher on the dash, near the radio, etc. is powered all the time.

I left my cell phone charger plugged in to the "always on" socket, without realizing that it was always on.  No phone was connected to the charger, but it apparently still draws some power.  Then I went out of town for a week.  When I got back, the battery was dead as a doornail.  Had to call and get jumped.

I've just learned that there's a service procedure that needs to be performed after a jump start, which probably explains part of why my mileage has been lousy since then.

Both my power outlets are ignition switched on my 2006 400H, so that doesn't seem to be a problem!!

I learned the hard way that you really have to be careful about accessories left plugged in.  The power outlet down below dash, near the "tray" almost at foot level goes off when you turn off the ignition.  But the socket up higher on the dash, near the radio, etc. is powered all the time.

I left my cell phone charger plugged in to the "always on" socket, without realizing that it was always on.  No phone was connected to the charger, but it apparently still draws some power.  Then I went out of town for a week.  When I got back, the battery was dead as a doornail.  Had to call and get jumped.

Both my power outlets are ignition switched on my 2006 400H, so that doesn't seem to be a problem!!

Yeah, both mine shut off. I am leaving for a 9 day vacation so if anything dies in the 10 degree weather, I will report.

I worried about the battery running down while I have been away for 1 month. I hadn't the time to set up a battery tender or even have a friend fire up the car once a week since I emergently left town (my mother had surgery for cancer)

The good news is that coming home, the 400h started right up without any problems. Hurray!