Transmission Troubles With Lights On

swiggins

Hi all. Has anyone experenced this kind of problem? When I turn on the lights, parking or full head lights, the "R' reverse indicator lights up. Shifting into reverse is normal. Now, shifting into drive the car pull away from stopped but will not up-shift. With the lights off all shifting is as normal. Thanks for the help.

Sounds like the 'broken wires along the drivers side hinge in the trunk syndrome'.

This is not uncommon in the gen 1 LS. Do a search for this or just look at the wires along the drivers side hinge in the trunk. You may have to unwrap the outer sheath to see the wires. You are likely to find one or more broken ones. They made them slightly too short at the factory. If any are broken, add wire to lengthen, re-wrap each one, and your problem will go away. Be sure to report back.

Mike

Sounds like the 'broken wires along the drivers side hinge in the trunk syndrome'.

This is not uncommon in the gen 1 LS. Do a search for this or just look at the wires along the drivers side hinge in the trunk. You may have to unwrap the outer sheath to see the wires. You are likely to find one or more broken ones. They made them slightly too short at the factory. If any are broken, add wire to lengthen, re-wrap each one, and your problem will go away. Be sure to report back.

Mike

Mike, you are so right. There were three broken wires white, yellow and black.

Somehow the transmission ECU must have getting a reverse signal that prevented up-shifting. Also solved the problem of no function on the trunk realese and the bulb out indicator on the dash turned on when no bulb was out. Thanks for the in-put. And thank you Chipps as well.

Sam

Mike

Mike, you are so right. There were three broken wires white, yellow and black.

Somehow the transmission ECU must have getting a reverse signal that prevented up-shifting. Also solved the problem of no function on the trunk realese and the bulb out indicator on the dash turned on when no bulb was out. Thanks for the in-put. And thank you Chipps as well.

Sam

Glad you got the problem sorted out.

These guys on here do know there stuff B) :)

• 1 year later...

Your guys are Great!!!!!

This thread solved my 4 probelms at once:

-- 2 years ago, my Bulb-out Indicator was on every time when I 1st time press the Brake after started the car

-- 6 months ago, my driver side front brake became Not Smooth; made nosie when appling brake

-- last weekend, all the sudden, my trunck could not be released from release switch

-- last Monday, my transmisison can not be shiffed to up gear, after i turned lights on and then got "R"

After i read this, i checked my trunk hinge, YOU ARE RIGHT, there are 3 comlete broken wires, White, Yellow and White/black strip. Then after I reconnected them back all of above 4 problem fixed!!!

Thanks!

Your guys are Great!!!!!

This thread solved my 4 probelms at once:

-- 2 years ago, my Bulb-out Indicator was on every time when I 1st time press the Brake after started the car

-- 6 months ago, my driver side front brake became Not Smooth; made nosie when appling brake

-- last weekend, all the sudden, my trunck could not be released from release switch

-- last Monday, my transmisison can not be shiffed to up gear, after i turned lights on and then got "R"

After i read this, i checked my trunk hinge, YOU ARE RIGHT, there are 3 comlete broken wires, White, Yellow and White/black strip. Then after I reconnected them back all of above 4 problem fixed!!!

Thanks!

forgot to mentioned that my car is 93 LS400 with 129k milres...