Ski Rack

KillerBob

Guys,

I am trying to install the Lexus Ski Rack on the factory fitted Roof Rack on my RX300.

I have the extenders to fit the ski rack onto the cross-bars, and it seems to me that there is no way of preventing someone lifting the whole rack, including extenders, of the cross-bar. Is that true?

The ski rack itself locks, and that prevents someone lifting the ski rack off the extenders, but the extenders are merely tied onto the cross-bar with the hand tightened bolt.

TIA

One idea is to position your ski rack as close to one side of the car as possible and loop a plastic coated cable lock through the front and/or rear ski rack and/or the ski bindings and around the permanently mounted side rail.

Would it be possible to substitute a different type of bolt to make it more difficult to remove the "extenders"? On one roof mounted ski/bike rack I had, I substituted bolts with large curled knobs (that were meant to be removed without tools) with bolts that required an Allen wretch to remove them. At least a thief would have had to come well prepared.

Anybody who really wants to steal skis can probably defeat any locked ski rack. I've always looked at locks on ski and bike racks as devices to slow down a amateur thief or simply discourage someone from even trying.

I've always been paranoid about having skis (and bikes) stolen and I have rarely left skis on top of an unattended car for very long. Lots of people don't lock their skis to their racks at all - I've counted on thieves to focus on them.