Hid Install

RX4LILY

I think the Kit he bought is for the people who already have the HIDS on there car! I dont think those will fit if he has the NON-HID units in your 330!

Best bet would be to purchase the WHOLE HID unit--light assy and all but that will cost you a small fortune and I highly doubt it will be AFS functional as well as auto leveling (but you dont really need that) or the AFS for that matter...

SO what you need is the light assy as you already have the kit to plug into it

get the d2r for the stock halogen reflectors...make sure you get a kit where the bulbs are rebased to fit into the halogen housings...the link you provided shows the bulbs are not rebased and prolly won't fit

did you purchase the denso oem HID kit w/9006 rebased bulbs? if so, all you gotta do is remove the old halogens from the headlight housing, disconnect the power plug from the old bulbs, insert your new HID bulbs (if they're the rebased ones they should fit right back in like the halogens did), connect the cable from the ballast to your bulb, find a place to mount your ballast in your engine compartment (make sure you don't have it near any moving or hot parts), and then plug the power plug into the adaptor that leads to your ballast and you should be in business. this is all assuming you've purchase that retrofitted HID kit that uses the oem denso ballasts and phillips 4300k bulbs that have been rebased to be compatible with 9006 bulbs. if not you should contact the seller and they should be able to tell you how to install it ;)

D2S bulbs came with the OEM denso Kit, so should I get the D2R bulbs or should the D2S bulbs work fine with the standard halogens headlight housing??

This is the kit that I bought from E-bay E-bay Link

• 4 years later...
I am long time owner of 2001 RX300. I have a headlight out. I can't remember and don't have paperwork to discover if I have HID or halogen bulbs. What is idiot proof way to tell?

Thanks,

Tuck'd

The bulb type is on each of your headlight lenses. If you have HID, you will see "D2R" on each lens. If you have halogen, you will see "9006". Of course, if you have HID, you would have been seeing your headlights doing an up-and-down synchronization dance each time you start your car at night.

I am long time owner of 2001 RX300. I have a headlight out. I can't remember and don't have paperwork to discover if I have HID or halogen bulbs. What is idiot proof way to tell?

Thanks,

Tuck'd

The bulb type is on each of your headlight lenses. If you have HID, you will see "D2R" on each lens. If you have halogen, you will see "9006". Of course, if you have HID, you would have been seeing your headlights doing an up-and-down synchronization dance each time you start your car at night.

Thanks. Even as idiot I can read D2R. HID then. If I can trouble the collective... What is best source for HID bulbs?

Thanks, Tuck'd

You would need a philips 4300k D2R bulb, product number 85126.

Make sure you get the 85126 as there are several different types with different numbers.

You can find used ones on ebay anywhere between $10 and $30. Chances are they are still good.

Definitely don't buy a new one to replace it. As these bulbs age, they change color and intensity. If you replace one side with a new bulb and leave the other side old, you will be able to see the difference in color and output and it won't look good.

Either replace the burned out side with a use bulb, or replace both side bulbs with brand new. You can get a pair of new bulbs for ~$130 shipped. Again, check ebay.

Thanks for advice/info. I actually had a condensation problem combined with High beam burned out. The result was condensation build up to point where there was 1" of water in bottom of headlight case/assembly. I was pleased to learn it was the halogen high beam that was burned out and not the HID. I took out drivers side assembly (after removal of grill, battery, fender liner) and have ordered a new HID assembly from eBay. Will just swap it in when it arrives and have my used bulb as backup.

Again, thanks for advice.

Tuck'd